Softener in holding tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I search it out on the 'net...this is what I came up with (which doesn't appear to dispute what you wrote)...and we all know that if it's on the internet, it must be true: :)

How much salt is used in a water softener?
Industry standard is that the average family of four with hard water (7-10 grains per gallon hardness level) will use about 9 to 10 pounds of salt each week or one 40-lb bag of salt each month.

Non-chemical devices (apparently what you're describing)
Some manufacturers claim that their electronic devices affect the interaction of minerals with water so that the minerals do not bind to surfaces. Since these systems do not work by exchanging ions, like traditional water softeners do, one benefit claimed for the user is the elimination of the need to add salt to the system.

And yes, it does bump sodium levels, but hype about sodium levels and softeners relating to heart issues has pretty much been proven to be of no consequence.

Since few if any people are consuming their holding tank contents, that doesn't seem to apply here :) But nothing I found or you wrote explains what if any benefit there is in putting water softener into a holding tank.

The water softeners are deflocculents. They bind the minerals in the waste causing it to clump together less and stick less reducing buildup on anything in the tank.

The water softeners are deflocculents. They bind the minerals in the waste causing it to clump together less and stick less reducing buildup on anything in the tank.

Our 100gallon approx holding tank had never had a spear long enough to reach the bottom.
It actually only made it 1/4 down.
Because of this, in the ten years since it was installed, it had never been fully pumped out and had only ever had that top 1/4 removed.

When we bought the boat I fixed that by lengthening the pickup to reach the bottom.
Ten years of crud and no softeners used and the insides of the tank are pretty clean.
No real evidence of what I would call clumping or buildup and no smell worthy of mentioning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom