Should I consider doing my 3208 after coolers my 3208's myself??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well done Rick. If you have managed to save the aftercooler after 33 years without service, that is probably almost a miracle considering it has spent it's life in saltwater. It is also amazing that the air side has still been able to deliver adequate air for engine operation!
Especially after having to "use force" to disassemble the unit, pressure testing to ensure that no saltwater will enter your engine's air intake is required.
Again, well done, and good luck.

Well done Rick. If you have managed to save the aftercooler after 33 years without service, that is probably almost a miracle considering it has spent it's life in saltwater. It is also amazing that the air side has still been able to deliver adequate air for engine operation!
Especially after having to "use force" to disassemble the unit, pressure testing to ensure that no saltwater will enter your engine's air intake is required.
Again, well done, and good luck.

Thanks, I just picked up new seals, "0" rings and gaskets for both engines. $335. Sure beats the thousands of $$ people were talking about when I first started this project. Yes it was time consuming and frustrating, but now I know the how to do it, plus my stbd engine was done in 2007 not 1991, plus I won't have to be lying over the engine, this one should be easier.

plus my stbd engine was done in 2007 not 1991, plus I won't have to be lying over the engine, this one should be easier.

Funny when the engine that is only 10 or 12 years past the scheduled service date will be the easier one. I hope that is the case, and then you should head down and buy some lottery tickets.

I'm paying close attention since I've been thinking its a job I will be doing some day.

Good work so far. Best of luck with round 2.

Funny when the engine that is only 10 or 12 years past the scheduled service date will be the easier one. I hope that is the case, and then you should head down and buy some lottery tickets.

I'm paying close attention since I've been thinking its a job I will be doing some day.

Good work so far. Best of luck with round 2.

Well the hard one was 30 years past the date. I have more to share by telling of my mistakes.

To get the supply (bottom) sleeve (coupler) off of the nipple that comes out of the core i used a impeller puller pressing on some flat steel (crescent wrench) placed across the bolts sticking out of the box that holds the core. I got is out about 1/4" but was afraid to pull harder for fear of damaging a $6,000 core. I was using CLR sprayed up inside the sleeve and nipple and letting it soak. Over the course of 3 weeks I'd wipe it out, spray more, wedge screw drivers against the box and trying to force it out. Finally my buddy says what about using a wooden tapered plug to push the nipple back towards the core while pulling with the puller. This got the job done. So then I take it down to a radiator shop to be cleaned. Well the cleaning process attacked the nipple metal (bronze?) where it would pool and it weakened and cracked. I even lost a little piece at the edge. So, I asked my friend who is a welder to weld it up. He was unable to. The weld would not hold. Now I'm thinking I have to spend the money for a new core but I called Caterpillar and they told me a place that they would send their cores. It was an hour drive but I gave it a go and they were able to braze it very nicely. I have yet to install it but will report later. IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3258.jpg
well the hard one was 30 years past the date. I have more to share by telling of my mistakes.

To get the supply (bottom) sleeve (coupler) off of the nipple that comes out of the core i used a impeller puller pressing on some flat steel (crescent wrench) placed across the bolts sticking out of the box that holds the core. I got is out about 1/4" but was afraid to pull harder for fear of damaging a $6,000 core. I was using clr sprayed up inside the sleeve and nipple and letting it soak. Over the course of 3 weeks i'd wipe it out, spray more, wedge screw drivers against the box and trying to force it out. Finally my buddy says what about using a wooden tapered plug to push the nipple back towards the core while pulling with the puller. This got the job done. So then i take it down to a radiator shop to be cleaned. Well the cleaning process attacked the nipple metal (bronze?) where it would pool and it weakened and cracked. I even lost a little piece at the edge. So, i asked my friend who is a welder to weld it up. He was unable to. The weld would not hold. Now i'm thinking i have to spend the money for a new core but i called caterpillar and they told me a place that they would send their cores. It was an hour drive but i gave it a go and they were able to braze it very nicely. I have yet to install it but will report later.View attachment 145805

Quick update: after taking about a month to remove (3 weeks) clean and repair the after cooler core on the port engine it took me about 1-1/2 hours to remove the stb after cooler core today. My radiator shop cleaned it in a couple hours so I may get it all together today!!!

Quick update: after taking about a month to remove (3 weeks) clean and repair the after cooler core on the port engine it took me about 1-1/2 hours to remove the stb after cooler core today. My radiator shop cleaned it in a couple hours so I may get it all together today!!!

Big relief :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom