Seaward-Princess Electric Stove Glass shattered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

While underway today the front glass door panel of our Galley stove shattered.

Not 100% sure why. It wasn't even on and we were just cruising down the waterway.

I stepped into the cabin to see all this shattered glass all over the floor.

At firsts I figured a glass or bottle of some sort fell off the counter and busted but as I was sweeping it up I noticed that the other half of the glass was still partially on the oven front door.

I think its a Seward Princess 3347 (240 VAC).

I see that Suremarine.com has a glass replacement but they have notes that it is pretty specific to a certain size etc.

Anybody have any other suggestions or spares?

I guess it can still be used just be careful not to get burned.

Attachments

• 20210326_235923.jpg
    20210326_235923.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 18
Tempered glass doesn't just break it "explodes" into a million little pieces.
Tempering puts a stronger layer of glass on the surface that is under compression, as glass is strong in compression but weak in tension.

If a surface scratch penetrates the compression layer at the surface it releases all that stored energy and the piece self destructs. There might have been a sharp edge on the door housing or it could have been a surface scratch that was the break source. I would think parts are available - if a question on size you might have to do some disassembly of the door to get an exact measurement on size. If you find any sharp areas on the frame It might help to grind/smooth them off. If there is any hi temp "fabric" around the edges I would replace it as well as that will help reduce pressure points from the frame.

As an aside I'm currently on the road with our motorhome and waiting for a glass shop to call with a replacement for our shower door that "exploded" one day while were parked and sitting inside. It sounded like a blow out, gunshot or someone threw a brick through a window. Took a coupe hours to clean up and 3-4 days to find all the small pieces.

Yep - we had a tempered glass sliding shower door in the house just explode one night at about 3:00 am. Scared us to death, thought a meteor hit the house. House was built in the 1990's and so after a couple decades, ka-boom, spontaneous failure. Had the same thing happen to a tempered glass dining table outside on the deck in a minor hail storm with just pea sized hail. Glass is fascinating stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom