Radar Training

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like you are from East Lyme CT. Every year Shennecossett Yacht Club hosts a seminar on Radar. A local marine electronics dealer (I think Dockside Electronics) brings in the latest technology and gives training. It comes with a book and presentation material. It's a great seminar. I have attended twice. Keep an eye on the SYC website. I believe it is offered in over the winter timeframe.

Picking up crab pots, or where I sail, deadheads, is easily done in calm conditions. However, you will be zoomed in far enough to miss the guy on a collision course until he is alarmingly close, so remember to zoom out frequently to stay safe.

Yep, competing requirements.

In our case, usually any really-nearby boat traffic is easily visible so I sometimes set the radar to find (if possible) all the crab pots that are in the "float free channel" (a mere suggestion) that we routinely use to get from our river into deeper Bay.

-Chris

I am not aware of any hands on training. What I recommend is to use your radar when it is daylight and good visibility so you can see what is on the screen and what is around you.

Agreed, but more importantly, pay attention to what you DON"T see, and note how "tuning" the radar can eliminate objects you are counting on seeing.

I agree with this. It's how we learned. It takes practice both underway and while at anchor.
Also not mentioned is you want to make sure YOU can bee seen. A radar reflector of some sort is a must have.

I agree about the reflector. We have a Lundberg lens type of reflector. I don’t know how well it works because I have never seen my boat on radar... The old publication Power Boat Reports did a test on reflectors and the one I have came out best so I assume it works well.

If you want a cheap easy in book, big print, written for the newbie, a chap named Erik Skovgaard has self published several books, two of which I have purchased ($20 Canadian), one book called "The Marine Radar Handbook - learn to use and get the most out of your Radar." I am fairly certain he is based out of BC but I could be wrong about that.

I love his disclaimer: "The purpose of this book is learning. No navigational or safety advice is given or implied and the author's liability is limited to the cost of this book. Don't sue me or you may end up caring for my old boat."

Home

Choice 1- Go take a course that includes hands on training at a Maritime School.

Choice 2- Engage a training captain and have your view completely blocked as you operate and describe what you see on radar. The captain has a visible watch.

I taught radar observer courses for 11 years, The most important thing is to know what the buttons and knobs DO! So you can get the best picture of what is around you. Leaving your radar on one setting is not using it properly, we had two radars, sometimes three on the bridge. Today most commercial vessels have map and radar overlay. computers that are linked together. On most small boats the radar screen is too small to plot on. It comes down to familiarity with the area. It is recommended that you switch range every few minutes to see down the road. By the way, the USCG has changed it's requirements on radar, you only have to take the class once now. In the past you had to renew every five years, but much complaints from Inland Pilots caused enough fuss to incorporate a change.

I taught radar observer courses for 11 years, The most important thing is to know what the buttons and knobs DO! So you can get the best picture of what is around you. Leaving your radar on one setting is not using it properly, we had two radars, sometimes three on the bridge. Today most commercial vessels have map and radar overlay. computers that are linked together. On most small boats the radar screen is too small to plot on. It comes down to familiarity with the area. It is recommended that you switch range every few minutes to see down the road. By the way, the USCG has changed it's requirements on radar, you only have to take the class once now. In the past you had to renew every five years, but much complaints from Inland Pilots caused enough fuss to incorporate a change.

One thing I've observe on Radar, as well as on Auto-Pilots and all other equipment, is users who don't even read and study the manual, every page of it. There is so much behind every button and knob and there are so many tricks to effectively utilize the equipment. I remember being brand new and newly trained and talking to a Captain from NY who was nearing retirement and he was complaining one day about how his autopilot was working and another day about his radar and the reality was he didn't know how to operate either and had never looked at a manual. He had never even drilled down the menus on the buttons. Seems like just curiosity would make you press a button to see what was there.

I applaud the OP for wanting to get training on radar. Amazing what little secrets a good user might have and share.

I've had an unlimited radar license for 35 years and worked commercially for 45 and I would suggest taking a radar course and then if possible find someone competent and experienced to go out with you on your boat for some practical instruction on using the radar.

I am not aware of any hands on training. What I recommend is to use your radar when it is daylight and good visibility so you can see what is on the screen and what is around you. Then you can compare the two and see what something looks like on the radar and what it looks like in real life. The more you use it the better you will be when you need it. Maybe see if anyone in your marina is knowledgeable about using radar and ask them to ride along with you. Practice with the advanced settings so you will learn about manual tuning although usually the automatic tuning is good enough.

That's the way I learned. :)

If you want a cheap easy in book, big print, written for the newbie, a chap named Erik Skovgaard has self published several books, two of which I have purchased ($20 Canadian), one book called "The Marine Radar Handbook - learn to use and get the most out of your Radar."
[/url]

I went to BlueWater in Ft L. Much to my surprise, they had A copy. The price was $24 US including a separate addendum. While there, I picked up a pad of RADAR plotting sheets. The salesman commented, recently they has been selling a lot of plotting sheets.

I put it on the book shelf for now because, I am giving serious thought about redoing all the electronics. Until then, I know just enough about my RADAR to identify, track and avoid, and adjust for sea clutter and guarding rings. Not many of us have the RADAR mounted high enough to see a front moving in over the horizon.

I think radar is a really good example of "you don't know what you don't know". Everyone understand that it shows blobs corresponding to "stuff" that's out there. But there are a ton of different things you can do with them to help you navigate and not smash into things. A good book or course or hands of training will quickly make you aware of all the things you can do, and get you started on each. From there is takes practice to master them, but training will get you there so much faster than trying to discover or accidentally bump into features on your own.

A good book or course or hands of training will quickly make you aware of all the things you can do, and get you started on each. From there is takes practice to master them, but training will get you there so much faster than trying to discover or accidentally bump into features on your own.
I completely agree!:thumb:

I have been boating for over twenty years in the northeast US. To maximize the short summer boating season I am faced many times with cruising in the fog. Traveling in the fog is not without stress. I am not concerned about the stress but I do admit that I could be more proficient with my use of radar. Can anyone recommend expert good hands on radar training? Since my use of radar is based on reading and usage I really think I would benefit from expert training. Standing by for your advise.

Yes, I have a suggestion, Try youtube.com there are several videos about the subject. Good Luck--which is also needed in the fog.

Radar and boating. I have been using marine radar since the first "belly" radars came out in the 60's. The same as the AN/PPS $ used by ground troops in the Army. I am also a pilot fo meny hours and I found that the best training was offered by the AOPA, while the air applications, don't apply to boating .. what they do do it teach you what to look for and how to understand what the radar is showing. Note I have 50+ years boating experience all over the North atlantic and some 40 years as a pilot of high performance aircraft. No more flying at 80, but still boating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom