Oxe diesel outboards.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A 300 hp OXE diesel outboard was recently on static display at the Jacksonville boat show. There was no sales representative on hand, so all I could do was gape at its imposing size and price - a bit north of $70K.

I'm not sure what the requirements are in Canada, but I think in the US they need to be EPA Tier 4, and based on the Oxe web site, their outboards are only Tier 3. That's probably why their only US customers seem to be the US government who are exempt from their own EPA rules.

I'm not sure what the requirements are in Canada, but I think in the US they need to be EPA Tier 4, and based on the Oxe web site, their outboards are only Tier 3. That's probably why their only US customers seem to be the US government who are exempt from their own EPA rules.

emissions limitations of the early 2000's is the reason Yanmar stopped selling their 27 and 36 HP diesel outboard in the us

I wonder if these were partially designed to meet the US Military "one fuel" mandate?

I am not sure of the actual HP threshold, but apparently under 85 HP only requires Tier 3. Beta Marine has been floating beneath that threshold for years. My guess is the desire for old school mechanical engine is why Nordhavn specified Beta 85 hp engines in the N41.

https://betamarineusa.com/portfolio/beta-85t/

Peter

I am not sure of the actual HP threshold, but apparently under 85 HP only requires Tier 3. Beta Marine has been floating beneath that threshold for years. My guess is the desire for old school mechanical engine is why Nordhavn specified Beta 85 hp engines in the N41.

Peter

Agreed, the rules are a bit different on smaller engines. And that's also why Beta makes the 115T, but doesn't sell it in the US (it doesn't meet the current US emissions requirements).

Agreed, the rules are a bit different on smaller engines. And that's also why Beta makes the 115T, but doesn't sell it in the US (it doesn't meet the current US emissions requirements).

The Beta 115T can be sold in the US as a replacement for Tier 2 and lower engines.

David

Peter

Yep, unless the EPA changed the rules, Tier 3 is what is needed on trawler sized diesels. JD's marine engines are Tier 3 rated at the highest level of compliance. JD's Tier 3 engines start at 100 HP.

Later,
Dan

What I've learned since my original post, they are Tier 3 and are US EPA compliant. I'm still waiting to learn more about the Canadian market. Only two dealers makes it difficult

The 200 HP models with the Chevy engines are assembled in Albany Georgia. The 300s have BMW engines and are built in Sweden.

Cost to carry is prohibitive, so until there is an established viewable, touch and feel presence, they are offering a 20% discount, whatever that means.

1980s marine BMWs were a disaster, so no thank you.

Thanks to all for the contributions.

What I've learned since my original post, they are Tier 3 and are US EPA compliant. I'm still waiting to learn more about the Canadian market. Only two dealers makes it difficult

The 200 HP models with the Chevy engines are assembled in Albany Georgia. The 300s have BMW engines and are built in Sweden.

Cost to carry is prohibitive, so until there is an established viewable, touch and feel presence, they are offering a 20% discount, whatever that means.

1980s marine BMWs were a disaster, so no thank you.

Thanks to all for the contributions.
Thanks for the update. I know the EPA rules vary based on total engine displacement, as well as displacement per cylinder, so it’s less than obvious what any particular engine requires. Call me a pessimist, but I’m always suspicious of weasel-wording from manufactures. For example, being US EPA Tier 3 compliant doesn’t necessarily mean that it meets the current EPA requirements for the engine, since it assumes that Tier 3 is what’s currently required. Maybe it is. I don’t know.

Thanks for the update. I know the EPA rules vary based on total engine displacement, as well as displacement per cylinder, so it’s less than obvious what any particular engine requires. Call me a pessimist, but I’m always suspicious of weasel-wording from manufactures. For example, being US EPA Tier 3 compliant doesn’t necessarily mean that it meets the current EPA requirements for the engine, since it assumes that Tier 3 is what’s currently required. Maybe it is. I don’t know.
Ok, just to clarify, "compliant" was my word. What I was told is they meet US EPA standards. They also meet TC emission standards up here.

I've now learned, they plan to drop the Chev blocks and go BMW through the entire line.

A 40 foot pleasure craft with triple 300s is being sea trialed next week. If not there, I will at least be able to talk to someone who was.

Last edited:

Fair point. Beta Marine has a compliance letter on their website and they make it pretty obvious which engine is compliant with various emission requirements. JD is the same though I can't remember seeing a compliance letter from them.

Oxo should have a compliance letter.

Ok, just to clarify, "compliant" was my word. What I was told is they meet US EPA standards. They also meet TC emission standards up here.

I've now learned, they plan to drop the Chev blocks and go BMW through the entire line.

A 40 foot pleasure craft with triple 300s is being sea trialed next week. If not there, I will at least be able to talk to someone who was.

Thanks for clarifying.

OXE marine founded in 2012, first build 2014, global sales to date 800. You really do have to admire entrepreneurs, with a dream, sticktoitiveness and money.

I’m curious about boat design and weight distribution.
The OXE 300 weighs 959 pounds, so that 40-footer I mentioned will have 2,877 pounds hanging off the stern as opposed to three Yamaha 300s at 1,686 pounds, or a D13 900 Volvo at 3,439 pounds (plus gear) inboard of the transom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom