North Aegean Trawler 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stickan1

Vessel Name
Seawind
Vessel Make
Hanse 315
As I am getting older I consider buying a trawler. After a period with hearth problems I bought a motor sailer, a Fisher 30, but I always tried to sail her and she was very under rigged so I got frustrated and sold her and bought a conventional sailing yacht, a Hanse 315. I have always been a sailor and raced a lot but now I enjoy most the quiet days at anchor together with my dog who doesn't like sailing so much. I live in Sweden and there are few trawlers for sale here, but I am prepared to buy from other parts of N Europe once the Covid is under control.

I have seen an ad for a North Aegean Trawler 30 in Germany and it is the right size. It is difficult to find much info about it. It was built in Turkey and a few went to the US and some ended up in Germany. I looks like the company only survived a couple of years, starting in 2015.

So my question is about this boat, if anyone of you have seen one or even better own one. I may consider other boats in the size range 30-32 feet, a tug style boat would be fine, but there are very few for sale in Europe. I don't like the Beneteau ST style.

WOW! I love the look of that boat for a 30-footer! Very nice.

Looks perfect for a single w/dog to me.

Doesn't have a 400hp Cummins, either.:thumb:

Very nice looking, Stickan1! I've never heard of this make before. I found their web url via google, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I guess that's to be expected, if they've really gone out of business.
Is it possible that this could be "trailerable"? Probably too heavy, but if it is trailerable, that would certainly open up even more possibilities for you!

Last edited:
Hi Scott, It was built in Turkey. Trailer boating is nothing for me. I used to race star boats and travelled between races for five years. Hard work. It weights close to 5 tons and is wider than 3 meter so not a boat for trailers.

For sale on yacht world

As I am getting older I consider buying a trawler. After a period with hearth problems I bought a motor sailer, a Fisher 30, but I always tried to sail her and she was very under rigged so I got frustrated and sold her and bought a conventional sailing yacht, a Hanse 315. I have always been a sailor and raced a lot but now I enjoy most the quiet days at anchor together with my dog who doesn't like sailing so much. I live in Sweden and there are few trawlers for sale here, but I am prepared to buy from other parts of N Europe once the Covid is under control.

I have seen an ad for a North Aegean Trawler 30 in Germany and it is the right size. It is difficult to find much info about it. It was built in Turkey and a few went to the US and some ended up in Germany. I looks like the company only survived a couple of years, starting in 2015.

So my question is about this boat, if anyone of you have seen one or even better own one. I may consider other boats in the size range 30-32 feet, a tug style boat would be fine, but there are very few for sale in Europe. I don't like the Beneteau ST style.
One just showed up for sale on yacht world , good price. Only one sleeping cabin
Just FYI not mine

Nice compact trawler!

Ted

Friends of ours keep their boat at the same marina where this boat is located. When we went sailing with them a couple of weeks ago I was admiring it.

It looked to me to be in excellent condition. A very impressive, attractive, salty little boat. Plumb bow suggests good seakeeping abilities. Impressively wide walk around decks. The main cabin appeared surprisingly roomy, more than the photos convey. I couldn’t tell about the size of the sleeping cabin (nor if it had a separate stall shower, always a must have for us).

The claim in the listing of ‘1 gal/hr fuel consumption’ is very attractive. But 57 hp means strictly displacement speeds. Which for a 30 ft boat suggests a 5-6 knot cruise, and 7-ish knots WOT.

It’s a very attractive design and looked to be well-built. But that would be slow going, especially in this area with 3-5 knot adverse currents in some places. Maybe that’s one reason it has such low hours and usage?

If the speed works for you in your waters, it seems like a great deal to me. I’d be sorely tempted, even with a new boat on order.

Attachments

• 9BBE25D6-5A01-4A44-858B-F30CBAFD3E84.jpg
    9BBE25D6-5A01-4A44-858B-F30CBAFD3E84.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 36
Friends of ours keep their boat at the same marina where this boat is located. When we went sailing with them a couple of weeks ago I was admiring it.

It looked to me to be in excellent condition. A very impressive, attractive, salty little boat. Plumb bow suggests good seakeeping abilities. Impressively wide walk around decks. The main cabin appeared surprisingly roomy, more than the photos convey. I couldn’t tell about the size of the sleeping cabin (nor if it had a separate stall shower, always a must have for us).

The claim in the listing of ‘1 gal/hr fuel consumption’ is very attractive. But 57 hp means strictly displacement speeds. Which for a 30 ft boat suggests a 5-6 knot cruise, and 7-ish knots WOT.

It’s a very attractive design and looked to be well-built. But that would be slow going, especially in this area with 3-5 knot adverse currents in some places. Maybe that’s one reason it has such low hours and usage?

If the speed works for you in your waters, it seems like a great deal to me. I’d be sorely tempted, even with a new boat on order.

I owned a Willard 30 with Perkins 50 hp. About 6 to 6-1/4 kts on average is about all you can do, and the 1-gph is roughly right. We spent a lot of time in the Delta region which is tidal. Sharpens your navigation and seamanship skipps to plan around tides. We like displacement speeds - "Life at jogging speed" as we like to say. Not for everyone though.

Looks like a cute little boat. Good luck -

Peter

I owned a Willard 30 with Perkins 50 hp. About 6 to 6-1/4 kts on average is about all you can do, and the 1-gph is roughly right. We spent a lot of time in the Delta region which is tidal. Sharpens your navigation and seamanship skipps to plan around tides. We like displacement speeds - "Life at jogging speed" as we like to say. Not for everyone though.

Looks like a cute little boat. Good luck -

Peter

I wish the Admiral (otherwise known as "she who is always right") were more willing to boat at displacement speeds. For me it's all about the journey, just time spent on the water. She's very much a destination "when are we going to get there?" kind of person. I've tried repeatedly, and she's made it clear she can't tolerate cruising at anything slower than low teens.

Especially with the reality of fuel prices for the foreseeable future (meaning, the rest of my life) this North Aegean or something like it would be perfect.

I wish the Admiral (otherwise known as "she who is always right") were more willing to boat at displacement speeds. For me it's all about the journey, just time spent on the water. She's very much a destination "when are we going to get there?" kind of person. I've tried repeatedly, and she's made it clear she can't tolerate cruising at anything slower than low teens.

Especially with the reality of fuel prices for the foreseeable future (meaning, the rest of my life) this North Aegean or something like it would be perfect.

Tortoise & Hare - sometimes going slow can be the fastest way to get around. Depending on the distances involved, displacement speeds and their associated fuel economy can (and often are) faster than a planing or semi-planing speed.

Point in case: a friend has a very nice 2014 Horizon PowerCat 52. It's pretty efficient, carries 700g of diesel; burns about 36-40 gph at 18-20 kts. Realistically, 300 nm range at cruise. If he wants to go from St Pete to Dry Tortugas (220 nms), he stops at Boca Grande for fuel both directions. So he ends up anchoring near Boca Grande or getting a slip, which means he has to arrive mid afternoon for the fuel dock, or wait until mid-morning for fuel. And then there's the expense of 2-gpm economy. But most important to him, fuel stops rule his cruising itinerary.

If he throttles back to 8-1/2 kts, he burns under 7-gph. No stops needed.

His wife is a lot like yours - she just wants to get there (granted, she suffers horribly from seasickness). Despite her science background, there is no amount of fact, discussion or logic that can shake her from "Yea, I get it.....but can't we just go faster??"

I have a few other concrete examples, but suffice to say, going fast does not always equate to shortest trip.

Peter

Tortoise & Hare - sometimes going slow can be the fastest way to get around. Depending on the distances involved, displacement speeds and their associated fuel economy can (and often are) faster than a planing or semi-planing speed.

His wife is a lot like yours - she just wants to get there (granted, she suffers horribly from seasickness). Despite her science background, there is no amount of fact, discussion or logic that can shake her from "Yea, I get it.....but can't we just go faster??"

Peter

I get it, understand and agree. Unfortunately, for the kind of boating we do and in our area, for the distances we cover and the local waters, I can't disagree with the Admiral that cruising at 13-14 knots does indeed get us there faster than cruising at 7 knots could.

Buzzard's Bay can have 3+ knot adverse currents, and the Cape Cod canal as much as 4-5 knots. The Admiral isn't big on timing the tides, since that could mean departing at hours when she would rather be sleeping. In the past I've tried getting underway on my own so she can sleep in and shower at her leisure, but the noise and commotion wakes her (and a grumpy Admiral makes for an unhappy voyage). 7-ish knots would be tough in those areas.

The longest since runs we've done and in our future plans include New York City to Cape May New Jersey, about 130 miles. There are only a couple of not-so-fun inlets along the way, and trying to go the Intercoastal route means plowing a new channel. Likewise Sandwich MA to Portland Maine, 140 miles. At 13-14 knots they're doable in a single (albeit long) day. At 7 knots, not possible without an overnight passage (that I can't do on my own).

Buzzard's Bay can have 3+ knot adverse currents, and the Cape Cod canal as much as 4-5 knots. The Admiral isn't big on timing the tides, since that could mean departing at hours when she would rather be sleeping.

Side story: long before e-charts, mariners used tide tables, small books with known tides at known locations and tables of offsets for other locations. The Delta waterways are tidal all the way to Sacramento, 100 nms upriver. All offsets are pegged to the Golden Gate Bridge so are many, many hours of offset.

My first trip up the Delta was aboard my Willard 30 and was the first trip I took with my then relatively new girlfriend (now my wife of almost 27 years). We left after work and, oblivious to how strong the currents were, spent many hours bucking a 2-4 kt current in the Carquinez Straits in my 6-kt boat before arriving at Benicia after midnight.

So I spent the week studying the tide tables and determined we needed to leave by 5am in order to catch the ebb. Cheryll didn't believe me and thought I just wanted to bail on the trip, anxious to get home. I've come to find that while she's an exceedingly pleasant person, when tired or hungry she's not to be triffled with (when both, what out!). It wasn't until early afternoon before she talked to me.

So I 100% understand why the need for speed. It opens up a lot of cruising area. I know fuel is expensive, but there comes a point in life where valuable currency shifts from money to time. We happen to really like life at jogging speed and feel like we've missed out when a boat goes too fast so a displacement boat is perfect for us. But the market has spoken: we are in the vast minority.

Peter

Last edited:
Side story: long before e-charts, mariners used tide tables, small books with known tides at known locations and tables of offsets for other locations. The Delta waterways are tidal all the way to Sacramento, 100 nms upriver. All offsets are pegged to the Golden Gate Bridge so are many, many hours of offset.

My first trip up the Delta was aboard my Willard 30 and was the first trip I took with my then relatively new girlfriend (now my wife of almost 27 years). We left after work and, oblivious to how strong the currents were, spent many hours bucking a 2-4 kt current in the Carquinez Straits in my 6-kt boat before arriving at Benicia after midnight.

So I spent the week studying the tide tables and determined we needed to leave by 5am in order to catch the ebb. Cheryll didn't believe me and thought I just wanted to bail on the trip, anxious to get home. I've come to find that while she's an exceedingly pleasant person, when tired or hungry she's not to be triffled with (when both, what out!). It wasn't until early afternoon before she talked to me.

So I 100% understand why the need for speed. It opens up a lot of cruising area. I know fuel is expensive, but there comes a point in life where valuable currency shifts from money to time. We happen to really like life at jogging speed and feel like we've missed out when a boat goes too fast so a displacement boat is perfect for us. But the market has spoken: we are in the vast minority.

Peter

Aye, ye are a better mariner than I am (and perhaps with a more understanding Admiral). I started boating 52 years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and routes were plotted by candlelight. I remember well tide tables, covered in the first seamanship class I took as a wet-behind-the-ears teenager. I even used them in the decades before e-everything.

I've been reporting to this Lord of the Admiralty for 39 years (married for 32 of them). She would much rather I not be into boats at all, and has no interest in boating herself. But she strongly encourages me to pursue it, and even pushes me to spend more money on boats than I would otherwise do myself. In return, she strongly asks (= requires) that if I want her to go boating with me, we do so at some double-digit speed, as well as keep most of our days underway to 6-ish hours or less (excepting the very occasional long run).

While on one hand the difference between 6 and 12 knots is only 6 knots, it can double or cut in half the time to get to a destination, or how far we can go in a day (and if bucking an adverse current, perhaps more).

Like the age-old wisdom goes, 'happy wife, happy life.' I don't want to be the recipient of the opposite (especially after she consistently encourages me to spend more than I'm comfortable with on boats).

Back
Top Bottom