Medical Care in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
I'll share my experiences with private medical care in Mexico. In short I am 100% pleased!

The backstory

In late April I went in for a series of normal tests, my last tests under my "old" work insurance prior to retiring.

One of those tests was a Calcium Risk Score, something pretty normal for a 60 year old guy with managed high BP and cholesterol.

The test came out a bit high, so my DR recommended that I see a cardiologist for further evaluation. As we all know knowledge is prevention, and prevention is how we live longer.

I received the results while I was in the middle of the ocean leaving Alaska so there was nothing I could do.
I called the University of Washington and got set up as a patient, but their earliest consult date is in August.

So... I decided to see what La Paz Mexico had to offer in terms of a cardiologist.*

I found Dr Edgar Cuevas Garcia who is accredited in the USA, Mexico, and Europe. He speaks english, and is renound as being a fantastic, caring cardiologist.
So, i set up an appointment for a consult at a cost of $1800 pesos, or $90 USD.

When I arrived at his very professional office they first did a full EKG, BP, etc... and then I met with the Dr to explain the reason for my visit.

He suggested a stress test and full imaging of my heart, arteries, valves, etc... I agreed that was appropriate and thought we were going to schedule this for some date in the future.

Nope, he lead me back to his clinic complete with some really serious looking equipment and we did a full work up. I was there for a few hours, and actually watched him take measurements of the interior of my arteries, and look at the operation of the heart valves.

In the end he told me I had no blockages, and that he recommended I have another cohlesterol test in 6 months, and come back to see him to discuss the results. He recommended the full workup on a annual basis, and sent me on my way happy that I am not going to have a heart attack any time soon.

The total cost was $11,500 pesos, or $557 USD.

If this kind of professional service is what I can expect from the private medical system in Mexico, I am overjoyed.

​​​​​​​

I'll share my experiences with private medical care in Mexico. In short I am 100% pleased!

The backstory

In late April I went in for a series of normal tests, my last tests under my "old" work insurance prior to retiring.

One of those tests was a Calcium Risk Score, something pretty normal for a 60 year old guy with managed high BP and cholesterol.

The test came out a bit high, so my DR recommended that I see a cardiologist for further evaluation. As we all know knowledge is prevention, and prevention is how we live longer.

I received the results while I was in the middle of the ocean leaving Alaska so there was nothing I could do.
I called the University of Washington and got set up as a patient, but their earliest consult date is in August.

So... I decided to see what La Paz Mexico had to offer in terms of a cardiologist.*

I found Dr Edgar Cuevas Garcia who is accredited in the USA, Mexico, and Europe. He speaks english, and is renound as being a fantastic, caring cardiologist.
So, i set up an appointment for a consult at a cost of $1800 pesos, or $90 USD.

When I arrived at his very professional office they first did a full EKG, BP, etc... and then I met with the Dr to explain the reason for my visit.

He suggested a stress test and full imaging of my heart, arteries, valves, etc... I agreed that was appropriate and thought we were going to schedule this for some date in the future.

Nope, he lead me back to his clinic complete with some really serious looking equipment and we did a full work up. I was there for a few hours, and actually watched him take measurements of the interior of my arteries, and look at the operation of the heart valves.

In the end he told me I had no blockages, and that he recommended I have another cohlesterol test in 6 months, and come back to see him to discuss the results. He recommended the full workup on a annual basis, and sent me on my way happy that I am not going to have a heart attack any time soon.

The total cost was $11,500 pesos, or $557 USD.

If this kind of professional service is what I can expect from the private medical system in Mexico, I am overjoyed.

​​​​​​​
Wow, thats very cool....I have heard they have really quality health care for reasonable prices there

Encouraging report. We've all but decided retiring outside of the US would have many beneifts not the least of which is lower healthcare and insurance costs with a higher standard of care.

Last edited:
Lots of people say that US health care is the best in the world. I believe it is the best if you can afford it…

There are two types of pharmacy in Mexico. A general type, and one that sells "patent" medicines such as Lipitor, etc. While generics are available, the name brand version is also available, usually at around 50% or more discount compared to US prices. For better or worse, they are available over the counter so filling prescriptions is easy and inexpensive.

My brother suffers from occasional episodes of gout. Prednisone works well for him. In the US it's a prescription drug so he must see a doctor, have it officially diagnosed, and then get 10 or so pills. By the time he sets an appointment with a doctor, pays a deductible, and makes it to a pharmacy, he's been in pain for a couple days and is out $75. In Mexico, he can walk (hobble?) into a farmacia and walk/hobble out 5-minutes later with a bottle of 100 Prednisone tablets for around $8.

A friend who lives in Costa Rica recently had a routine colonoscopy performed. He informs you could not tell the difference between those facilities and a US outpatient center. He paid something around $400 for the procedure.

In a recent episode of Gone with the Wynn's, she recaps around 8 medical procedures throughout the world. They carry international health insurance which covers them in all but one country. The exception? United States due to unpredictable and high cost of American healthcare.

For major issues, a lot to be said for leading edge medical care in the US. For everything else, there is a lot to be said for how healthcare is administered in many countries.

Peter

Wow, thats very cool....I have heard they have really quality health care for reasonable prices there

Private hospitals in urban areas are excellent and GP doctor's are readily available. Public hospitals tend to be very overcrowded. A lot of Mexico is rural so keep that in mind. Always a good idea to have insurance for medical flights back to US.

About 5 months ago an older Gent and his wife stayed at our marina for a while in SD in a Larger Nordhavn motor sailer. Sharp couple, very experienced blue water travelers. From here they went to Ensenada and were departing that marina in early morning darkness. Long story short, when he was raising the main the winch caught his jacket and literally tore his arm off. His wife, nursing background I believe, went on deck and removed the remaining bone and tissue above the elbow with a knife and applied a tourniquet. Sound unbelievable…I agree. My sailing buddy who I travel with on occasion went to Ensenada to help them bring the boat back to SD about 5 months ago. I have a picture of him, the gentleman with no lower arm, and his wife in the wheelhouse. The boat went up for sale after that. Regarding Mex health care; he visited a private surgeon the day of the accident who sewed him up and apparently did a good job. I believe they are out of boating now and doing the RV thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom