Lehman 120 (2715E) Duty Rating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. Looks like it might have been a lobster boat.

Yeah. Good call. I think the verity skiffs (the hull they used as to create the mold) where used for all sorts of fishing back in the day.

So many classic hull could benefit from having a hull mold made so hull design will not be lost.

A very rough diesel rule of thumb is if you can increase the operating RPM by 300 rpm and the engine is happy, no black smoke or overheating , you are good to go, almost forever, even with a light duty engine.

Hello. Home port is Northport NY.

I have to update that information. I have a 26 Groverbuilt. Small builder that built boats in the late 80s early 90s. They basically took an old “verity skiff” and made a fiberglass mold out of it.

I have had her on some long trips and some time offshore. I sorta hesitated putting that in because I did not want to side track the thread. See pic below. (And have your laugh, lol)

About the same size as my boat without all the unnecessary bits

On TBE engine. Probably valve cover the engine serial number and duty rating is provided. We often run for days without stopping at 30 percent loan on a continuous duty motor though it is a qsl9 cummins
You need to know the liad? Of how you are running many diesels built for marine use are continuous duty but st a percent of load

For the record, “Continuous duty” or M1 means WOT for 24 hours.

The Ford engine that the Lehman conversion was done to were widely used for generators and pumps and some were never shut off except for maintenance. It was also a successful combine engine and a failure as a truck engine.

For the record, “Continuous duty” or M1 means WOT for 24 hours.

The Ford engine that the Lehman conversion was done to were widely used for generators and pumps and some were never shut off except for maintenance. It was also a successful combine engine and a failure as a truck engine.

Whenever possible, I ran my Deere WOT or until the temp exceeded the recommend amount (maybe an hour). I would then pull back the throttle until the temp was back in specs and be content. I suspect if I had the engine boiled out, I could run all day at WOT. Each time I would go into the yard, I would have the keel cooler boiled out and inspected but never got around to boiling out (descaling) the engine.

I’m not a particular fan Of the Ford Lehman . however I probably have owned around 10 of them. They are long lived , However I don’t really care for an engine that doesn’t have replaceable cylinder sleeves, They are also very noisy , They rattle and shake the whole boat,I know of a guy that had a 300 pound fly wheel fashion for one just to get it to run smooth, I run mine between 1500 and 1800 RPM where I can tolerate the noise all my diesel engines run between 1500 and 1800 RPMs most big truck motors run in that range ,if that will work for you . That would be my recommendation I don’t know if you can get the power you need at those rr*s . A straight six Lehman is nowhere near 120 hp I don’t care what they say, if it starts good cold by cold I mean 40 50° then your compression is good if you have good oil pressure chances are your bearings are good if it runs all day at 1700 RPMs and your temperature is stable you have a good engine don’t worry about it just run it. If it was running good when you shut it off don’t worry about it it will restart I don’t care how far offshore you are if it’s running good I wouldn’t worry about shutting it off at all. Like I said it’s not my first choice of engine, is not even on my list if I have a choice . however whenever it comes time to rebuild or replace I would definitely replace with something that at least had removable cylinder sleeves there’s my two cents

Well, after much prep (money, blood, sweat) my boat is ready for its trip to Bermuda. (From NY). Planning to leave sometime around the 14th/15th of this month.

This site has been great and wanted to thank everyone for their feedback.

I will try to post before I leave, if not, when I get to Bermuda.

The duty rating is on the plate affixed to the valve cover

Continuous duty is 80 percent power. For well continuous. Engines degrade metal fatigues no matter how well you baby it or care for it Lehman are good engines at the first sign of temperature rise you know,it's time to back off the rooms good luck

Did a search on forum and internet and could not find an answer. My manuals on on the boat 45 min away. (Not sure its in there anyways)

I am going to take a long run in my 26 Groverbuilt (downeast) with a 120 Lehman. The Lehman, drive train, and boat have been maintain impeccably maintained (i mean impeccably, people laugh at me for how much I spend and work on that boat) and has about 2000 hours.

The run will be at about 48 continuous hours (no stops, no turning off the engine). The engine will be running around 1700 rpms.

In the past, I have run her for 12 hours straight at 2200 with no problems. (Several times in a few week period)

Is the engine rated for continuous duty? And if no rating is available, i would like to get opinions from folks. I think ill be fine, but i will be in blue water for about 36 of those 48 hours and just wanted to “check myself” to make sure I’m not missing anything. (It would get very lonely 200 or so miles off shore)

Thank in advance for your time and thoughts

Anthony[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jmack. Appreciate the input.

Just spending the next few days provisioning and obsessing about wind and where the gulf stream is.

Thx

Alisske, enjoy your trip. Especially enjoy the night skies. You will see more stars than thought possible.
Be safe and stay inside the boat.
Where are you going to dock?

Be safe and stay inside the boat.
Where are you going to dock?

Thanks Old Dan.

Was gonna figure out where ro dock when i hot there, but planning on keeping her on anchor. (Might rent a place for the week, depending on weather window (departure date) and how the trip went (do i need a few days recouping?)

The weather planning is tough. Seems like you don't get 4 good days, lmao. (As other have mentioned)

Thanks Old Dan.

Was gonna figure out where ro dock when i hot there, but planning on keeping her on anchor. (Might rent a place for the week, depending on weather window (departure date) and how the trip went (do i need a few days recouping?)

The weather planning is tough. Seems like you don't get 4 good days, lmao. (As other have mentioned)

Government dock (yacht club) is at one end of the main island and there is a place at the other end (brain fart) forgot the name. The Bermuda has a place to cruise ship docking. I am not sure where the anchorages are located other then the center of town but you will need a tender if you anchor. You can buy week long bus ticket or hire a cab by the day to do the tourist things. There is lots to see if you want.

I have flown over twice.
I was in the early stages for a trip to Bermuda on my hyd stabilized N46 when the boat was dropped in the boat yard, for a bottom job. Had the big chart a couple of smaller charts and the curiosity flag. "They" say the weather will be the same as coastal NC. Bermuda is about 750 miles off the east coast.

My shake down cruise was going to be a trip east coast of FL through the canal and across the Gulf, refuel, if necessary, at Brownsville TX and then along the east coast of Mexico, pick up the lady I was dating at the time and then, come back. I had a lady captain who spoke fluent Spanish and was great friend with Maria...... Alas, I think I have a coastal chart for Mexico and the curiosity flag too. LOTS of great plans that never happened.

So two flags, quarantine and a "call for tender" flag that will never be used. SHRUG

Remember, life is what happens while we are making plans.

Thanks again.

Sorry to hear about the boat drop. (Make plans and god laughs, i suppose). But sounds like you “get around” more than most. Lmao.

I found some good anchorages since my boat has a shallow draft. But i have been hyper focused on getting there.

Thanks for rhe heads up with the flags. Didnt even dawn on me, lol.

Be well

Thanks again.

I found some good anchorages since my boat has a shallow draft. But i have been hyper focused on getting there.

I do hope you are taking at least one friend. 2 would be better. It might get boring while out of site of land for 4 or 5 days. Take MORE food than you think you need. Take a sat phone and paper charts too.
Plot your course on the paper chart, GPS position frequently.
Lots of fuel filters, oil and oil filters. You will need at least one oil change.
Remember, everything will be more expensive in Bermuda .... everything comes in by ship or plane.

Good advice. Have it all covered with the exception I’m single handing.

Looking forward to the time alone. (A buddy may fly out for the next leg of the trip to Bahamas)

A

"Just spending the next few days provisioning and obsessing about wind and where the gulf stream is."

A simple solution is an old ham radio to listen to the weather , sea state etc.

There are programs that will eat the ham output and create a chart on a tablet.

For adventure with out leaving the dock ,,mid winter sea state in the North Atlantic should get your heart pumping.

Well, after much prep (money, blood, sweat) my boat is ready for its trip to Bermuda. (From NY). Planning to leave sometime around the 14th/15th of this month.

This site has been great and wanted to thank everyone for their feedback.

I will try to post before I leave, if not, when I get to Bermuda.

For those desiring weather updates while way out to sea, there is.....

https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/fax410--ac

I suspect one can interface a sat phone with an iPad without being an electronic wizard.

Last edited:
Yeah. I was considering that. Its a blindspot for me and planning. Once i leave, its the course and weather i have chosen. I don't like that.

Thanks for the heads up

Yeah. I was considering that. Its a blindspot for me and planning. Once i leave, its the course and weather i have chosen. I don't like that.

Thanks for the heads up

If you go the sat phone route, you will have a duel purpose item.
Voice and data.
They do make sat phone that also give current GPS location.
Then you have a 3 purpose item.
I forgot what I paid for my sat phone and I have not investigated interfacing with the iPad for weather reports along your intended route.

If you go the sat phone route, you will have a duel purpose item.
Voice and data.
They do make sat phone that also give current GPS location.
Then you have a 3 purpose item.
I forgot what I paid for my sat phone and I have not investigated interfacing with the iPad for weather reports along your intended route.

Agreed. And it gives the option of having someone on shore figure out some of the weather stuff if desired rather than only being able to get weather data and being totally on your own to interpret it.

I’ll start a new post, but made it here.

That engine was awesome. It ran like a Swiss watch. It was an interesting trip. I was glad i redid the engine mounts. (At times i thought the engine would rip out) lmao.

Was a nice source of security to hear her running.

Attachments

• BDE099F5-48C4-4CD5-82C9-278945197387.jpg
    BDE099F5-48C4-4CD5-82C9-278945197387.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 13
Agreed. And it gives the option of having someone on shore figure out some of the weather stuff if desired rather than only being able to get weather data and being totally on your own to interpret it.

There is/was a paid weather service that will predict the weather along your selected/planned trip.
Alas, the name of this service has fallen out of my memory. I am sure someone remember the name and price.

I’ll start a new post, but made it here.

That engine was awesome. It ran like a Swiss watch. It was an interesting trip. I was glad i redid the engine mounts. (At times i thought the engine would rip out) lmao.

Was a nice source of security to hear her running.

Glad to hear all went well!

Thanks Dan, and appreciate the input and support of everyone.

Really made the difference on “pulling the trigger” on the trip.

Thank you

P.S - checked the oil every 24 hours. Burns around 2qts in that timeframe. When it was calm enough, I would stop and turn off the engine. I forgot who posted it. But they were like “if shes running when you turn it off, she will start up”. Thought about that post a lot, and especially when I turned it off.

“Proof is in the tasting of the pudding” so to speak. So hats off to the author!! (Ill look later, I’m shot)

Back
Top Bottom