Larry Pardey has crossed the bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBoykin

Vessel Name
Hannah Jane
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Yes, I know this is a trawler forum - it's been a big help with my Grand Banks 42C chores. But I started my cruising life ages ago on sailboats (I suspect like many of you) and Lin and Larry Pardey's many books on cruising were a big help and inspiration.

Larry passed away just hours ago; I came across the notice on my Facebook page.

In difficult situations, someone on board would be bound to say, "what would Lin and Larry do"? and somehow, we'd figure it out. They were an inspiration to lots and lots of folks. He will be missed.

Thanks for this notice. Folks like the Pardeys and the Hiscocks have been tremendously influential in my boating not because they were Sailors, but because they were self sufficient. Because they focused on seamanship skills vs technology. They believed in themselves and depended on one another. And because they shared so much with the boating community. I am frequently reminded of their largess and giving nature when I see YouTube/Patreon folks who refuse to engage unless accompanied by a check.

The old school ranks have thinned with Larry's passing. 8-bells and many thanks to a fine cruising example. He with Lyn's help, left a clean wake as best I can tell.

Peter

Last edited:
I believe he was Canadian from Victoria, my memory is a little shaky here. His first boat was a heavy displacement 24 footer, I believe, and they sailed half way around the world without an engine - I still think of that feat.

I believe he was Canadian from Victoria, my memory is a little shaky here. His first boat was a heavy displacement 24 footer, I believe, and they sailed half way around the world without an engine - I still think of that feat.
I remember being enthralled by a story they told about setting additional anchors from the little hard dinghy they carried on deck. Think it was in preparation for a hurricane in Mexico(?). They were eminently capable and self-sufficient.

He was from Victoria, she from California. Their first offshore boat was a Bristol Channel Cutter, likely 24'. When they wanted to renew they built a 29' BCC near Lake Elsinore Ca, also sailed without an engine. I never missed their stories when they were writing. Lots and lots to learn from them both.
I believe Lin is back cruising. I wish her well.

I believe Lin is back cruising. I wish her well.

And she is about 76 years old. There is still hope for us old people.

I started as a sailor young, and loved their books when I got my hands on them. I re-read them all a few years back. Sad news - I loved every moment of their adventures in Seraffyn.

Fair winds and following seas, Larry.....

'Tis a sad day among the cruising community.

Larry Pardey was, and will always remain an inspiration. A leader.

With great sadness,
Mrs. Trombely

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom