Keeping RIB in the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodstock

Vessel Name
Pawseidon
Vessel Make
Navigator 4600
I have a new AB Hypalon RIB that's going to be mounted on a davit system on my swim platform. It's going to take me two or three weeks to get all the davit components purchased and installed. I had to put the dinghy in the water to make all the necessary measurements and for the time being it's in the water, tied up next to our boat. Is it OK to leave it in the (salt) water for this 2-3 week time frame with no bottom paint? This is in the ICW in North Carolina. I know it will need cleaning but is there anything more serious than that to be concerned about?

Yes, leave it in. It will need a scrubbing but you wont hurt it.

Not familiar with aluminum hulled if thats what you have...and as long as the motor and its bracket clear the water....I have for the same reason and it just needed a run to a sandbar weekly for scrubbing before it gets bad.

A good coat of wax would make it easier to clean but either way it will just need a good scrubbing

Our harbour seals love RIB's left in the water.

I have a new AB Hypalon RIB that's going to be mounted on a davit system on my swim platform. It's going to take me two or three weeks to get all the davit components purchased and installed. I had to put the dinghy in the water to make all the necessary measurements and for the time being it's in the water, tied up next to our boat. Is it OK to leave it in the (salt) water for this 2-3 week time frame with no bottom paint? This is in the ICW in North Carolina. I know it will need cleaning but is there anything more serious than that to be concerned about?

Remember to put the drain plug in :D
I suggest, do not leave the motor on the boat.

No bottom paint - you will regret this, especially with a brand new dink. Any barnacle spots which get on there, and they will this time of year, are pretty permanent unless you wish to use some acid to remove them. Is there no way to get it clear of the water?

A lot of people leave the drain plug out when leaving them in the water and not regularly using them. It lets a bit of water in to keep them from getting flipped in a thunderstorm and from filling up in the rain as they float high enough only a few inches come or stay in depending on which model.

In a projected hurricane situation, (I am bow in) I move the RIB under the bow shadow and fill about half way with water.

It's a fiberglass RIB. Motor is locked onto the transom and does not touch the water when tilted up. Sounds like it will be fine.
Thanks TF for the helpful responses :thumb:

It's a fiberglass RIB. Motor is locked onto the transom and does not touch the water when tilted up. Sounds like it will be fine.
Thanks TF for the helpful responses :thumb:

It is one thing if they steal your rib but, stealing your motor is something else.

No bottom paint - you will regret this, especially with a brand new dink. Any barnacle spots which get on there, and they will this time of year, are pretty permanent unless you wish to use some acid to remove them. Is there no way to get it clear of the water?

I can take it to the ramp a few miles away and haul it out but I'll be putting it right back in next week to line up the davit latch points. That was the reason for my original post. Going in and out over the next couple weeks is a PITA.

Last edited:
I left my last brand new rib in the water for about a week, during the summer, in so cal. When I pulled it, the fiberglass and Hypalon had numerous hard shelled tube worms. Little white things. I could never get them all off. A mistake I will never make with my newest rib.

Slide a blue tarp under the hull and wrap it up around the tubes. Any growth should end up on the tarp and it will help keep the dinghy look nice.

"Slide a blue tarp under the hull and wrap it up around the tubes. Any growth should end up on the tarp and it will help keep the dinghy look nice."

A cup of Chlorox poured between the boat and the tarp will assist keeping it clean.

At my marina (St. Pete, Florida), one will most definitely have soft and light hard growth in 2-3 weeks.

I would strongly advise against it. You'll have Algae growth in a week and barnacles in two. Neither of these are fun or easy to get rid of. We are in the Chesapeake and with warm water (like now) anything without bottom paint will see pretty rapid growth. Tarps are ineffective. If the boat is in the water, stuff will grow on it. Bleach is terrible for the environment and will be useless in about 30 seconds.

Last edited:
I pulled it out today at exactly two weeks. It had some algae growth and a few dozen spots of hard growth just starting to form. But I was able to clean it off pretty easily with a car wash mitt. Thanks all :thumb:

This may be 'off-topic' but I am considering mounting a RIB on my boat's swimstep, and the mounting systems for RIBs are quite a challenge....

May I ask....what davit are you going to install?

Thanks

This may be 'off-topic' but I am considering mounting a RIB on my boat's swimstep, and the mounting systems for RIBs are quite a challenge....

May I ask....what davit are you going to install?

Thanks

I was planning to install the manual Seawise davit system. https://seawisemarine.com. It's a pretty slick set-up.
I'm still on the fence with this install and am leaning towards not installing anything and selling the dinghy, motor, trailer and davit system. I bought it all over a year ago and after several months aboard last winter I think we will very rarely use it. If you were on the east coast I could make you a heck of deal :)

Hmmm...now thats a temptation...but we are on the other coast....I did look into this davit and have seen quite a few installed in boats at the marinas I have visited. Looks like a good system. And we do use our shore boat a lot. So, yes, its in my future if I can swing the budget. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom