Kayak racks for Trawlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kayaks divide into "sit on"(post 29) and "sit in"(post 13). The latter usually cost more, often of more sophisticated material, lighter, like a competition kayak;the former are more for messing about but can be and are paddled for extended time and distance. Ours are sit ons,easy to launch and retrieve, poly,hard to damage,easy to paddle, stable,inexpensive,and fun. An opportunity to exercise and explore instead of sitting on your butt on the boat with a drink and nibbles. There is no elegant way to get into a kayak from the swimstep,but so far it has not involved a swim. Except the night we were loading them to FB;unbalanced I took the vertical weight of the kayak, we both went in,a loud splash in a peaceful Pinta Bay.

We want to thank everyone for the huge number of well thought, constructive comments. We have a plan (and some things to check) that will hopefully work out great.

Ken

Inflatables

Only stowage that made sense on the Nordic Tug 37 was outside the upper deck rails. But that made the already difficult trip along the outer deck downright dangerous, as the kayaks completely covered the handholds.

Sold the hard shell kayaks and bought two Advanced Elements inflatables.

best
NornaJ

I built a contraption out of galvanized 3/4" pipe that is hinged on and extended from the swim platform. The kayak is 12' long, is out of the way and can be launched by lowering the rack into the drink. I got this idea from the folk that have their dinghy hinged to the platform. When under way, the rack with the kayak is pulled up and suspended with steel cable that I manufactured at West Marine. Very simple and inexpensive. I never have to drag or lift the kayak itself. You could have manufactured this rack professionally with SS tubing for better looks.

Ken, we have a Swift Trawler 44. Installed 2 Magma mounts on stanchions, port side, outboard for our 2-person inflatable Advanced Elements kayak. Perfect solution. However, due to shoulder arthritis, both kayak and mounts are available if you’re interested.
Roy

Attachments

• C694D8D9-CFA9-48FD-9663-596229742DE0.jpg
    C694D8D9-CFA9-48FD-9663-596229742DE0.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 99C266AA-90F1-4433-BB10-F5E9A32F5022.jpg
    99C266AA-90F1-4433-BB10-F5E9A32F5022.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 41
Here is what we did ... We purchased 2 FeelFree Lure 11.5 anglers kayaks b/c they were:

• Sit on tops
  • Very stable in rough conditions
  • Adjustable height seats (extra comfy)
  • Extra storage, and
  • Configured for Fish Finder/Sonar, equipment racks, and
  • Foot activated rudder for steering
These kayaks are heavier than recreational or cruising kayaks but tremendous fun and a great addition to our Trawler experience [see photo]. But....storage on my 38' Taiwanese Trawler was a real challenge. We have a split level Fly Bridge, and no space for two 11 1/2 foot kayaks, either up top or at the bow. And the shore boat takes up the stern space above the swim step.

After much research, the solution I chose was the YakRax from SurfStow. These are aluminum hangers which attach to your rails/stanchions. So far, so good. It is sometimes manual labor to lift the kayaks from the water up onto the racks, but that is a reflection of the kayak's weight, not the racks themselves.

I apologize for not finding my photos of the Trawler with YakRax, but I searched and searched....no can find...

The only downside is that two racks increase the width of my beam. My Trawler is stored under cover, and it is tricky to dock into the slip while keeping the YakRax and kayaks themselves from striking the vertical posts used for roof supports at our covered marina. However, when storing my Trawler in an uncovered slip....not a problem.

Hope this helps..

[Straight of Juan de Fuca north of Succia Island, WA]

Attachments

• FeelFree_Lure_11.5.jpg
    FeelFree_Lure_11.5.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 36
Have look under Pictures section of Cartouche we have Kayak mounted on Kayak racks on the rail works great takes on no water during rain or underway

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom