Jump Start Pack for Diesels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'm looking at those portable jump-start packs, and wondering what the specifications would need to be to start my Perkins T-6.354 diesels.

There are so many different options these days I don't even know where to begin. It'll be for use in the boat, in the truck and even for things like lawn tractors. There are some which come with USB charging ports, lights and other features.

Anyone have one they like? How well can it crank your diesel? What features are worth having?

I bought one of these. It says up to 6 liter diesel. I have used it to start some gas engines but have not tried it on a diesel yet.

NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box, Car Battery Booster Pack, Portable Power Bank Charger, and Jumper Cables For Up To 8-Liter Gasoline and 6-Liter Diesel Engines

1700 peak amps is what is recommended for use on diesels. Some one will now come along and tells us how they jumped a diesel with a 800 peak jumper. The real challenge with a jump pack is getting an adequate connection to transfer the peak amps. Give this some thought ahead of time. The clamps that come with jump boxes are rarely adequate to pass on the required amps.

Check out Project Farm video on YouTube.

JNC (Jump an Carry) makes a good jump pack. Model could be JNC 660 or the JNC 1224 (which is the 12v/24v) I used them when I used to tow. Was a very reliable pack for me. On a diesel, I would get the 24v pack with over 3000 ca in 12v and over 1500 ca in 24v. As with any battery, they will go bad if not used, but you can change out the battery in these packs.They have a 12V and a 24V option. Has its own internal charger with it to.

I never have used the lithium ones out there or the USB compact ones. You still need weight to hold the amps. I will have a JNC jump pack with me untill I see otherwise.

I would focus on keeping my batteries working well, isolated so the house doesn't run down the starting batteries, connections clean, etc rather than investing in a big jump starter.

FWIW for a 6 liter diesel engine it takes a good G31 battery to start it, which typically will have a CCA of 900+ amps. When it is warm outside and the engine's compression is good, maybe less.

David

Bigger is better. We have a couple of NOCO Boost 150's in my construction business. We use them to jump everything from 50 hp tractors to road trucks with 14 liter engines.

They're impressive and they hold a charge for many months. Can be charged from a USB connection or a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug. I've paid for mine just in the time saved from not pulling out jumper cables and having to maneuver another piece of equipment next to the machine that needs help.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom