Grand Banks 32 as a liveaboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No personal experience with Grand Banks myself, but 32 would be too small for me. 36 would be the smallest I’d consider.

I have spent a little time in a GB32, a couple of months aboard a GB36, and years and years aboard a GB42. We noted that in the 36 we had to turn sideways to get back and forth through the companionways, unlike the 42 where we walked around like humans.

Is the 32 one or 2 staterooms/sleeping cabins? Is there separate head and shower or are they combined? Could be wrong but I thought the main cabin/salon was quite spacious for a 32, dining one side and bench seat the other.
For one, it may be doable. Generator not so important if on a marina but very useful otherwise.
A link to the advert might help.

For many folks where living aboard includes a long cold winter the key element to comfort seems to be a great place to sit.

The RV zero clearance recliners may solve this desirement.

Before my wife and I bought our GB32 we looked at a 36.
We thought the 36 would be best for us because it has an aft-cabin. Turns out it was that aft-cabin that turned us away from the boat. With the aft-cabin you loose the large cockpit. We were looking for more outdoor space at water level rather than living space up on the flying bridge. We use our boat mainly in warm weather and we love having that large covered (with an awning) outdoor area. So while some people may feel like you would loose space with the large walk-around decks and cockpit, we feel like we’ve gained space.
We are NOT live aboards but now that I’ve retired we will be doing some extensive traveling and we do well with the available space.
Just another perspective.

I would stay away from the extensive teak decks at nearly all cost.

Just maintenance alone on all of that teak is substantial, even if there are no issues with soft deck cores and leaks, etc...

And may I ask why Grand Banks only? As previously stated, within your budget range, there are many other makes that might get you more bang for the buck... just a thought.

We live aboard a 44 Trojan flybridge... wouldn't want it any smaller for full timing. In fact, my next boat will probably be a 53 Hatteras.

Good luck... and in the PNW, make sure you have moorage established before pulling the trigger on anything!

OP keep looking. In the last couple of months I've seen three fiberglass 40' Marine Traders (or similar), sorta project boats, but none were priced over $40k and that's before you make your low-ball offer at half that!

You need some room, even if you're a (I assume) a single guy. Bigger boat means a decent head and maybe even a stand-alone shower. Galley that your girlfriend won't laugh at. More weight means more seaworthy and less active motion especially tied to the dock.

Aiming for about 40ft and 28,000 lbs would be nice.

Interesting ambition, a 32 would be too small for me but as others have posted, it might work for you. Issues with GB: teak decks, fuel tanks, window leaks, potential cabin side dry rot. Teak Decks: hundreds of holes through the deck cause a potential for leaks and associated dry rot. Make sure all bungs are in place. Fuel Tanks: black iron eventually rusts out and leaks result. This is expensive and a show stopper. Window Leaks: Often caused by a plugged weep hole, easy fix but expensive repair. Cabin Side Dry Rot: Early models had plywood sides, potential to leak through fastenings.
Good luck, keep us posted

Hi all,
I am testing the waters and gathering info for potential live aboard boat options. One I am considering is a GB 32. I am pretty set on living on a GB, for a first livabord boat the 32 checks most of my boxes however I am a little concerned about lack of space. Has anyone ever lived on a 32 or similar? Another consideration is the 36 but as I am looking at glass boats the price increases pretty fast from the 32 (Budget 50-60, 65 max). Would insurance be hard to find? When looking at a GB what are some immediate red flags?

Any feedback helps :)

Thanks for looking!
Grandbanks3642.

I lived aboard my old Camano 31 for almost a year. 31 feet and 10'6 beam. It was fine for me. I was single at the time. It was a fun adventure!

There is a bill in WA chambers re defining liveaboard uses on DNR land. If this bill makes it to law it will eliminate 80% of the moorage in WA form liveaboard use. Before investing in a boat, make sure you have moorage that allows liveaboards.

I browsed pending legislation and proposed. Didn't find anything threatening concerning liveaboard moorage. Can you provide a link. I would certainly be interested in countering any such legislation.

Homebody vs Man about town

I don't see anyone asking about how much time he plans to spend 'at home'.

It seems to me that some people are home bodies who only leave their house to get provisions they can't have delivered. Seems they would be willing to spend more on the place they spend all their time. Other folks only go home to sleep, shower and shave, they would be happier with more resources to spend when they are out and about.

Thoughts?

Homebody vs Man about town

I don't see anyone asking about how much time he plans to spend 'at home'.

It seems to me that some people are homebodies who only leave their dwelling to get provisions they can't have delivered. Seems they would be willing to spend more on the place they spend all their time. Other folks only go home to sleep, shower and shave, they would be happier with more resources to spend when they are out and about.

Thoughts?

Forum member “ebbtide” lives aboard a GB 32 in Seattle. I suggest contacting him for actual information vs opinion.

View attachment 99041

That's a cool looking boat. I like it without the flybridge. Very few of the 32 foot GB and others like it are flybridge delete.

One thought which is often neglected is a comfortable furniture. I have lived aboard sailboats from 29 to my 62 feet and trawlers from 32 to 42. The best live aboard in my opinion is one which has a real sofa, a recliner and or swivel rocker. Comfortable seating. For us this was a 42 foot "Sundeck motor yacht". A roomy saloon, where you had good visual sight lines outside and comfortable furniture. The queen bunk was easily walked around, and there were night stands built in on both sides. There was a separate shower, and good hanging lockers. So many of the factory boats do not have human scale ergonomically built places to sit and spend time.

And then there is camping aboard boats.

Look very carefully at any boat which has or had teak decks, especially in the PNW. Water eventually gets into the seams, and around screws. Freeze / thaw cycles increase the water intrusion into the core, and then you have soft decks. (and expensive repairs.)

Wife and I spent over a year cruising, actively on the go, DownEast loop, Maine to Maine, then Bahamas 5 months then back to Maine. Tight but doable. A GB 32 would have seemed huge.
That being said, as soon as we got home we started looking and ended up with very serviceable Monk designed 37 double cabin, and in your price ballpark, altho I have put about 20 into it upgrading systems, auto pilot and new fuel and water tanks, all plumbing, seacock, etc, to name just a few things.

A thirty two would be fine as long as you never want to have guests, imho.

Dan

Thanks for the input, I would intend to cruise with the boat a lot, (weekends, a couple week long trips here and there). You raise a good point about the generator, that’s a point I’ve been thinking about a lot lately.

Don't buy a boat with out seeing it first hand. I'm sure you could do better locally. Don't be in a hurry, shop until you find what you need.

I suspect if you were to ask your question about liveability of a GB 32 in Japan or Europe, you'd definitely get more yes's. Americans and Canadians definitely feel like they need more room than they really need.

Home is a place in your head and if you are comfortable and like your home, then you have all you need:

Here is a video a woman (Canadian) who has been living in a Van for two years:

Here is another woman living in her Ford Tansit:

And another vid of a woman living in her van with her dog:

For many parts of the world, you have lots of room, for other parts of the world.... "what are you thinking???"

So if the boat you are looking at is similar to this GB 32, I could easily live in it full time. But my wife and I have lived in a 17 foot travel trailer with my son, a cat and a dog. Then further back, my wife and lived in a 21 foot trailer full time, then 35 foot fifth wheel, and finally a 32 foot Winnebago. And I enjoyed all of them.

But I have found I can quite comfortably live in small spaces. Many middle class North Americans can't. So its up to you to figure out your own personal comfy home parameters.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am testing the waters and gathering info for potential live aboard boat options. One I am considering is a GB 32. I am pretty set on living on a GB, for a first livabord boat the 32 checks most of my boxes however I am a little concerned about lack of space. Has anyone ever lived on a 32 or similar? Another consideration is the 36 but as I am looking at glass boats the price increases pretty fast from the 32 (Budget 50-60, 65 max). Would insurance be hard to find? When looking at a GB what are some immediate red flags?

Thanks for looking!
Grandbanks3642.
A 32 is too small for two people to live happily, I believe. My current boat is a GB 42 Classic. It is livable, but not roomy.

That's a cool looking boat. I like it without the flybridge. Very few of the 32 foot GB and others like it are flybridge delete.

We enjoyed making the conversion and now she has moved on to her new owner. This photo is current, he brought Ebbtide to see me at the Seattle Boat Show. Still love that boat but she is in excellent hands now.

Hi all,

Thanks for looking!
Grandbanks3642.

Go to YouTube and do a search for Tulas endless summer! It's a young couple who live on a catamaran now, but a couple of years back they lived on a 32 foot trawler...you would have to go back two or three years to see how they had their boat set up and his they lived on it. They lived on the cheap! They anchored out most all the time!

Gb 36

First. All GBs are well built.
It is easy to get parts for the Lehman.
The single engine has a skeg mounted rudder for good protection.
Always employ a good surveyor.
We live aboard our 36 in the summer. It’s great for 2 and occasional guests.
The 32 doesn’t give you a good place for guests.
The 32 engine room is a little cramped but workable.
You can’t exit the 32 stateroom from the lower helm except by the aft salon door. It is the only entrance/exit making it slightly more difficult to dock/lock.
The longest trip I’ve made in my 36 Classic is 1,000 miles.
Always employ a good surveyor - said that - worth repeating though.

Go to YouTube and do a search for Tulas endless summer! It's a young couple who live on a catamaran now, but a couple of years back they lived on a 32 foot trawler...you would have to go back two or three years to see how they had their boat set up and his they lived on it. They lived on the cheap! They anchored out most all the time!

I have seen all of there trawler videos :). To be honest I was a little disappointed they went back to sail, still good videos!:)

I have seen all of there trawler videos :). To be honest I was a little disappointed they went back to sail, still good videos!:)

Wasn't Neverland a 34 footer? Not that it makes a big difference.

The big questions are:
1. Are you single or do you have a partner?
2. Could you live full-time in minimal acommodations ashore, such as a 16-foot travel trailer or a tiny cabin?
3. Will you stay in a marina or will you cruise? (I think you answered this).

I have owned and cruised our GB 32 for three years now and my wife and I find it comfortable and spacious enough to use for a month or two of continuous cruising. We expect to move it north and keep it near Lake Ontario and in New England for a few years as a summer home. We love the quality and performance of the boat and we get "Thumbs Up" signs from passers-by for its appearance.

I'm an experienced sailor and cruiser; I've been sailing for over 65 years and cruising for at least 50 of those. My previous boat for the past 30 years was a Ranger 33 and I cruised her all over the East Coast, including living aboard for six months one winter in Florida.

The GB 32 is much more spacious than the Ranger 33 was; it's comparable to a 38-foot sailboat. That said, it's still minimal for a liveaboard. Unless you are single, adventuresome and willing to adapt to a small space, I think that 40 feet is about the minimum for a comfortable liveaboard in all but perfect climates. I could live alone on a 36 comfortably in an ideal climate.

For a couple, the lack of truly comfortable seating to read or use a computer and the lack of a second sleeping cabin are the drawbacks to the GB 32.

Lots of variables here and a world of boats to acommodate them. Good luck!

Gb 32

Hi all,

Thanks for looking!
Grandbanks3642.

I think the GB 32 is one of the nicest and prettiest trawlers ever built. And it's perfect for doing what it was designed to do. I believe that it is to small to live aboard. Storage space and just "room" to live. Can it be done, yes. Should it be done, IMO, no. I think you would love it for about 6 months and then you would wish you had gone bigger. For a live a board, the 36 is even a little small but it has some other options for opening up "living space", especially if you are by yourself. The forward V berth can be your sleeping quarters and you can convert the aft cabin to a reading room/tv room/music room or whatever you want. Much more storage available than the 32. If you will look around, the price difference between the 32 and 36 isn't much and in the long run won't matter much but the space difference will.

Things to look for in any GB: Leaky teak decks, old fuel tanks that have to be replaced (with great effort and expense), windows and just the amount of teak to be maintained. It looks pretty when done but it's a constant chore. When I bought my GB 36 I had two hard and fast criteria: Teak decks already removed and single engine. I got the added bonus of finding one that also had the fuel tanks already replaced. Obviously, since you are going to be looking at older boats, hours on the engine and generator, hull blistering and moisture content of the deck are all issues to consider.

I would not buy a boat that did not have a generator. If you are living aboard and leaving the marina at all, you will have to have one and they ave very expensive to retro fit.

Ins is not difficult to find but be careful and compare actual coverages and not just cost of the policy. Allstate has a cap of 5% of boat value on their salvage coverage. That's $5k on a $100k boat. That won't even get the barge there. My coverage is $500k. When shopping, I contacted an international salvage company for advice on Ins and they told me they wouldn't even take a job on a boat covered by State Farm unless the client paid up front then handled the claim between himself and State Farm. I have very good coverage on my boat for $2.5k/year through GEICO. Heritage Ins in Maine is my agent. They specialize in covering boats of this type. When shopping, don't just look at cost. Compare coverage to coverage on different policies and then look at price. There is a lot of difference. I've been to quite a few boat shows and I'm always looking at different ins companies and when I show them my coverage and my cost I've been told by every one of them that they can't come close to providing the coverage I have for what I'm paying. In the PNW salvage ins may not be as important as it is on the Gulf Coast or Southeast Coast but perhaps other coverages their are. Hope all this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:
We have owner a GB 32 and a Monk 36. Would not live aboard the GB. What little storage is down at floor level. The bar is of more importance than the wee fridge. Need cover or the decks will leak. The cockpit deck is flat so water will pool. Don't even think about pre 1973 woodies. The Monk 36 is far superior with no teak decking, real refrigerator, and decent bedding and shower. Price lower than GB 36.

I own a 32 Grand Banks and spend many nights a month on her. It is a small space for sure, but well laid out. Storage would be a challenge if you are planning to use your boat as your primary residence. Also would only work for one person full time 24 hours a day in my opinion A couple could live on it but would need to spend a lot of time outside the boat each day. I’d suggest you probably will need to rent some storage space.

My boat is a 1972 so is wooden which I like. Access to everything is superb and the wood is good insulation. I.spent time cleaning and flushing the bilge so I could get the old boat smell out of the cabin and I tend to use marina toilets the most I can although my holding tank system is is good shape.

You would need to be comfortable in small spaces as I am, to enjoy living in 32. If you plan on using the boat a lot then the up sides are enormous. There is a wonderful back deck which becomes living space in the off winter months, the boat handles very well and is easy to single hand. It has wide walk around decks and guests immediately fall in love with the outside spaces and the cozy ness of the interior. It is very seaworthy as well. I’m in Seattle and I use it a lot in the winter months. The boat really likes 2 to 4 foot sea state we get around here when a front rolls through.

I thought about a 36 GB but I really prefer the sedan model.

Make sure tanks, windows, teak decks, and engines have been maintained. Stay away from project boats. If you are looking at a wooden boat one that is moored under cover Is preferable

Back
Top Bottom