GB 42 Classic Air draft?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
We are currently doing the GreatLoop, and, like all of us in this general area not yet on the Oswego canal there is a Bridge across the canal near lock number one that may be out of service for an additional three weeks keeping us from continuing on that route during that period. We have two other options one being the Erie and another being Lake Champlain. The latter takes us further north than we care to go. It’s possible we do the Erie canal all the way and still come north to do the things in Canada we had originally planned. Air draft is our challenge on the Erie however.
And a prior owner had cut our mast down and we were able to determine with that modification. We have been good at any bridges 19 feet or higher.

Would any of you, Grand Banks ownerspossibly know what Maximum air draft we could achieve by of course lowering our mast, but also lowering our Bimini tops on the fly bridge?

There is a tug ive been following, "TUG HOPPINESS". I believe she is 73ft long and way taller than the 42. She was tied up on the wall in Oswego and left first day it opened.

If I recall, in 2 days she already crossed Oneida lake. She had a break down, Hydraulic pump for rudder went and she was down a few days over ilian. Last time i checked she was on her way to lock 19.

If i remember, they said they were "dredging" all the way from 20 to 19.

Messed up too because ive always wanted to board a real tug. And i had the opportunity to do so but i was too shy to go up and talk to them.

I hate being that (oh god, here comes another one" guy)

We are currently doing the GreatLoop, and, like all of us in this general area not yet on the Oswego canal there is a Bridge across the canal near lock number one that may be out of service for an additional three weeks keeping us from continuing on that route during that period. We have two other options one being the Erie and another being Lake Champlain. The latter takes us further north than we care to go. It’s possible we do the Erie canal all the way and still come north to do the things in Canada we had originally planned. Air draft is our challenge on the Erie however.
And a prior owner had cut our mast down and we were able to determine with that modification. We have been good at any bridges 19 feet or higher.

Would any of you, Grand Banks ownerspossibly know what Maximum air draft we could achieve by of course lowering our mast, but also lowering our Bimini tops on the fly bridge?

I THINK but am not sure that the heights are the same on a 36 and a 42. See page from owners manual for our 36 below. Measuring it yourself is your best option

Attachments

• 52F07971-BB0F-4424-9AD6-5C911590461F.jpg
    52F07971-BB0F-4424-9AD6-5C911590461F.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 38
We did the entire Erie Canal, including the bridge you are worried about with our mast down and our Bimini up. We were only a couple of inches below the bridge but if you lower the Bimini you will clear it easily. I did it on a 1973 36' that is almost the exact same fly bridge hight as my "new" 1973 42'.

My 1987 GB 42 Classic is 13’ 1” to the top of the original windshield.

^This! 13’ 1” to the top of the plexy wind screen. We’re a 1986 GB42. The air draft of our original mast, to top of anchor light, is 22’ 5”. Measured it myself!

Last edited:
Following as we plan to travel the Erie Canal later this season.
A less then scientific measurement has our bimini at 15'5" from waterline.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom