flare disposal Kitsap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tator

Guru
Vessel Name
Oz
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Finally found a way to easily dispose of our out of date flares. I called the WA State Highway Patrol who in turn contacted the Kitsap County Sheriff's Dept. A deputy sheriff then contacted me. I left the flare kit on my porch and he picked it up. Done.

Tator

I take them to our local fire department and they accept them. They told me to hust leave them on the desk inside the front door, easy.

I have what I think is a better idea. Host a "Flare Demo Day" where people can bring their unused but expired flares and shoot them off. It requires a form to be filled out for the USCG, calls to notify the local cops and fire departments and a safe place to fire them off over the water.

I did that several years ago for our yacht club. It was open to the public with posters put up in the local boat yards, marinas, marine stores, etc.

The fire dept was kind enough to send an ambulance to be on location in case of an accident. We supplied a couple of buckets of water for people to put their used flares into when they burned out.

About 100-150 people (IIRC) attended and fired off a few hundred flares. It lasted about 3 hours and a good time was had by all.

Back
Top Bottom