Fire suppression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diver dave

Guru
Vessel Name
Coquina
Vessel Make
Lagoon 380
I just had a dialog with a professional shipboard fire detection engineer. Military and cruise ships. He indicated someone is selling a handheld grenade/flash bang type thing that gets tossed into an involved ER. non- corrosive agent. I don’t have any other particulars. Any knowledge here?

I just had a dialog with a professional shipboard fire detection engineer. Military and cruise ships. He indicated someone is selling a handheld grenade/flash bang type thing that gets tossed into an involved ER. non- corrosive agent. I don’t have any other particulars. Any knowledge here?

It was recently brought up here, and was found to not yet be USCG certified. I just googled up fire fighting grenade and came up with four manufacturers.

Still better off with a fire extinguisher in the ER that will go off instantly once the fire begins.

Still better off with a fire extinguisher in the ER that will go off instantly once the fire begins.

While many do not instantly go off due to the temperature rise required to activate them, there are models with flame sensors. My guess is that flame sensing is not installed on the average recreational vessel.

Then there are the installed fire bottles with not alarm wiring connected to them. I recently found this situation in a boat we were delivering. I corrected the error as soon as i found it, but as we found the vessel, a fire could have started in the ER (GAS engines) without our knowledge. Auto-shut down is a good thing, but lacking that, at least a siren to alert you to shut the engines down is required.

I did a thread on this last month The one I was looking at was the Elide Fire Ball.
Problem is they are not Coast Guard or Transport Canada approved as of today.
Interesting look on U-tube. Cheers Will

"Still better off with a fire extinguisher in the ER that will go off instantly once the fire begins."

Perhaps,

A full system is even better , turns off ventilation fans , closes vent ducts , some will secure fuel supply ,
THEN the extinguisher fires. The agent is not sucked overboard by vents.

Last edited:
"Still better off with a fire extinguisher in the ER that will go off instantly once the fire begins."

Perhaps,

A full system is even better , turns off ventilation fans , closes vent ducts , some will secure fuel supply ,
THEN the extinguisher fires. The agent is not sucked overboard by vents.

Agreed. Even better would be a second bottle of agent that releases more slowly (over 15 minutes or so) after the first one dumps. Even with ventilation shut down, etc. boats aren't air tight. So being able to keep the agent concentration up for longer gives more time for things to cool and prevent reignition.

I did a thread on this last month The one I was looking at was the Elide Fire Ball.
Problem is they are not Coast Guard or Transport Canada approved as of today.
Interesting look on U-tube. Cheers Will

USCG and probably TC approval on new things like this is very slow. Like years and years. That being said, an item not being approved doesn't mean you can't have one, it just doesn't count towards the number of extinguishers you're required to have. There aren't many things the regs say you CAN'T have on board, and dis-approval would also take a long time and many bad outcomes. If you want one of these things, go ahead and buy one. The more people who do that without bad things happening, the sooner things get approved. Or rejected if bad things do happen.

Back
Top Bottom