Feedback on proposed charging and power system changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SalishSeaCHB

Veteran Member
Hello fine folks!

I am looking at some power upgrades for my ’80 CHB 34. Her current setup appears to be original and is as follows:
Charging
55-amp alternator (I am guessing on that)
Original “Professional mariner” newpro 20/35 amp charger, what my surveyor called a battery boiler

Power

House: two Costco GC2 flooded 6 volt batteries in series that are at least eight years old
Cranking: 8D interstate(?) flooded battery that is three years old
Battery monitoring system
None

Proposed new setup:

Charging
-Promariner 1230p 12V30A ($340 w/pro discount) https://www.westmarinepro.com/buy/p...p-marine-charger-12v30a--12039467?recordNum=7

- Potentially I new alternator, mine is having issues with the tach and I may replace it – If I replace it $200 more if I add a smart regulator- not sure where to go for that

Power
House: two AMG GC2 6 volt batteries ($300 total) not sure on the brand, I am getting a deal through a buddy who works in the marine service industry

Cranking: no change

Battery monitoring system

I am at loss for this one, but the Victron BMV-702 looks like a good unit and will fit nicely in a place I already have a hole to fill. https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energy-Battery-Monitor-BMV-700/dp/B00MJ85E2U?th=1 ($180)

Total cost ~$1200 after taxes misc wires etc. That is the upper end of my budget right now, so please don’t recommend something likely better but way more $$

OR
I can just buy two new Costco batteries, add BMS and be done for much cheaper. However, the Costco batteries have a ton of recent really bad reviews indicating pre-mature failure.

Thoughts / comments / suggestion?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20190325_154051.jpg
    IMG_20190325_154051.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 26
Either choice would be a good first (or last) step in upgrading your battery/charging system. A lot depends on how you use the boat, how many days at anchor before heading back to the dock, or cruising to a new anchorage and if so how long to get to the next anchorage. And of course how much DC you use. The Victron will tell you that after a few outings on the hook.

I guess I would suggest going slow. Upgrade your batteries to new AGMs if you must have no maintenance requirements, or just replace them with two inexpensive GC batteries from Costco for $100 each. You can just spend about $400 for the batteries and the Victron and see how it goes. You can live with the old battery boiler for a while if you keep an eye on electrolyte level and top off frequently if needed.

You didn't say how the house and starting batteries are switched but I suspect with a 1,2,all switch. Another upgrade is to add a combiner or ACR to do it automatically.

David

Mark
I'm no expert but will offer a few somewhat random thoughts on a few areas I have some experience with.

I would suggest a first step is to define your intended use of the boat as it relates to power. The " best" solution will depend a lot on what you are trying to do with the new system.

I have no experience w Costco but have used Sam's Club battys both FLA and AGM and have had good results. I'm a believer in GC battys and just put 8 Sam's Duracell AGM GC2s in our motohome.Not sure if that's what's carried in your area.
Increasing alternator output may / may not make sense depends on your use. Some shops are able to rewire alts to bypass internal regulator and utilize an external multi stage regulator to optimize charging. You then need to decide how you want to charge start and/or house banks with the alt.
Mixing batty types FLA & AGM not recommended if using the same charging source. You can optimize it for one type and the other may suffer some detrimental affects.

Do you have a gennie? Or plan to rely on main eng / alt to charge?
How long at anchor? How often back at dock side for charging?
Sorry to pose more questions than answers but IMO the solution depends on how used!
A good source of info on battys, monitors, alternators, regulators, and I have purchase some components from CMS and commercial member here on TF
https://marinehowto.com/

Last edited:
I had the same old battery charger that you have and replaced it with a sterling/pro mariner 60Amp.
The last gc2 I bought from Costco were made by interstate so buy from Costco does not necessarily mean no name.

As mentioned in previous posts, check your need, how long you plan to be at anchor, a dock etc and you will be able to give better picture of what you need.
As an example, my previous setup was providing same amount of Amp/h that 2 gc2 would provide. My typical usage is 2 days at anchor over the weekend and it was not enough.

L

Hi All, thanks for the feedback. We don't have a genset and typically stay at anchor or powerless dock for two days max. With no BMS it is hard to tell how far we run the batteries down. But our power draw is mostly the freshwater pump and nor cold below counter fridge. All of our lights are LED and we tend to use portable lights when we can.

Back
Top Bottom