Documentation Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunshine

Vessel Name
Sunshine
Vessel Make
‘86 Cape Dory 28
Hi Folks -
I'm getting close to closing on '86 Cape Dory 28. The boat is currently USCG documented . My question is am I required to transfer the USCG documentation to my name or can I just register the boat to my state (Michigan) and allow the USCG registration to expire?

Thanks for your help - Sandy

It’s your choice.

As you’re in Michigan, having the vessel documented makes sense, as it m makes you a US flagged vessel when you go over the border.

Sunshine, if you are getting a loan on the boat your lender may make you retain the documetation. If not it's up to you but I would follow Pete's advice above. It's $26 a year or something.

When you go to transfer the documentation, be sure that you are using the actual .gov site, as there are many spoof sites who will sell you the same service, brokered through them for 10x the price.
Send the application and supporting documents electronically, if possible. I have heard that it speeds the process up a lot. Didnt work that way for me, as my last renewal took 3+ months.
Welcome, good voyages, and good luck.

Personally I would keep the documentation. It is better if you go out of the country although Canada isn’t a real problem. But if you want to get rid of it you should file the form with the CG to undocument it. Then register it with Michigan. You will have to register it with Michigan either way. Michigan will want sales tax if you have not paid it already. Good luck with your new baby. Oh, BTW, welcome aboard.

I thought I read that you either need to keep documentation current or you need to undocument. Just ignoring the coast guard and failing to pay the $26 makes you a documented vessel out of compliance and subject to fines.

Sandy
All good responses.
Undocumenting is a small fee.
MI registration should be adequate if all you would ever be doing is going to Canada. We did just NY registration for many yrs and several boats.
You just need to decide which way to go before doing either as MI will need to know if it is documented when you register. If undocumented they will assign r÷registration #s that you will need to display on the hull and they will send title to be used for proving ownership and future transfer.
Good luck - great boats!

Sunshine,
Here in NY a documented boat does not need registration numbers on the hull, just a registration sticker. We like the clean look so we opted to keep the documentation. Not sure what the rules where you are require. It’s a very simple and cheap procedure. It actually was more of a PITA to register with the state, come to think about it anything with NY state is a PITA. Everything with the USCG can be done online, by USPS, and or fax. In fact I just renewed my documentation yesterday and it took all of about 5 minutes. This is the link to the USCG documentation center. The address is a .mil site and when paying online it is a .gov site https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Deputy-for-Operations-Policy-and-Capabilities-DCO-D/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center/

For $26.00 annually I would keep the documentation if only so that you don't have to post a bunch of ugly numbers on each side of the bow.

pete

Welcome aboard Sunshine. I’m a Capy Dory sailor before transition to trawlers. Owned a 25 and later bought a new 28 both generated great memories. We sailed the 28 for 18 years, hard walking away from that boat. Sandy your buying a great boat.

Thanks folks I really appreciate your advise and warm welcome. I dug around on the USCG site and it does look supper easy to transfer the documentation so i think that's the route I'll take.

Looks like we might be allowed to start launching boats in Michigan soon. After 50 some years of being a rag bagger I'm moving to the "dark side" and couldn't be more excited....some of us are slow learners :D

Thanks again for your quick responses and warm welcome, I'm looking forward to becoming part of the community.....I'll let you know how the sea trial goes, take care all and fair winds.

-Sandy

Back
Top Bottom