Cruising Miami to Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saraml

Vessel Name
Westward Drift
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
My husband and are moving to Miami from Seattle and are thinking about getting a 50ish foot boat to liveaboard cruise from Miami to Maine and back from roughly May 1 to Nov 1, spending time at various ports and anchorages along the way. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it as fun as it sounds? All our boating experience has been in the PNW.Thanks!

I have done that a couple of times. Hundreds, maybe thousands do it every year. Lots to do and see, particularly in Maine during the summer.

David

If you limit your air draft (Bridge clearance) to 15 to 17', you can hugely expand your cruising grounds to include the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain. I did Fort Myers to Lake Champlain this summer and will be going back to Lake Superior next summer.

Ted

Not everything is close to the marina you stop at , so budget for a car rental too.

Great fun, walking and guided tours at some stops .

You probably want to go a month or 2 earlier than May-Nov in both directions. Keep in mind you'll need to deal with several hurricanes or tropical storms during that time anywhere along the East coast. When you get to NY, you might want to consider going up the Hudson and the canal systems rather than further up the coastline, much more interesting IMO.

Back
Top Bottom