Comments on accuracy:article

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The article claims discharge of bilge water.

Somehow I think that is illegal even in Canada.

Not sure of the accurate source of info....

It's not just a Canadian problem or a new problem.

30 years ago I was working with Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo on water quality issues. Cruise ships were just starting to be a "thing" down there. Beautiful area, but lots of the landside trashed (literally - trash). The ships would pump bilges, grey, and black water a mile or so offshore and totally screw the water quality. Crying shame.

Surely, as an intelligent race, we can learn from our mistakes. I cringe at the thought of all this crap being dumped into our waters.

At the same time we are wondering where/why our salmon and orcas and so-on have gone.

Every Canadian and every resident on this planet should be mad.

Rant over...

Slow news day. This has been going on ever since there were cruise ships.

Greetings,
As per the article "...single illegal discharge dumped 4,227 gallons of oil-contaminated waste..." Even multiplied a thousand times, not significant to the 8 million tons (and increasing) of plastic that end up in our oceans every year.

NOT trying to minimize the cruise ship dumping OR the application of fines but things should be brought into perspective. First world countries still ship their plastic waste offshore to "recycling" facilities in the third world where only the big $, easily recyclable plastics are used and the rest being relegated to local landfill and ultimately end up in the gut of some poor marine organism.

As mentioned by Mr. C, that $40M is simply the cost of doing business for the cruise line.

Depends on what they are "discharging" and whether the country flag of the vessel is a signatory to MARPOL agreements.

Depends on what they are "discharging" and whether the country flag of the vessel is a signatory to MARPOL agreements.
Yes, of course, but for the purposes of this discussion, i.e. cruise shipshit Canada allows three miles from shore, which in itself is ridiculous, given some of the passages they travel in BC waters.

The article is from a spin news source. Is there a grain of truth? Yes. Is it spun up to make the situation look dire? Yes. Is anything illegal happening? No. Is Canada being abused by the USA? No. There are far more Vancouver bound freighters dumping far more in US waters.

Can we do better? Yes, but it needs to be on a Global Level, not an attack on 5 cruise ships in the NW.

Yes, of course, but for the purposes of this discussion, i.e. cruise shipshit Canada allows three miles from shore, which in itself is ridiculous, given some of the passages they travel in BC waters.

I am not sure who is talking about what discharge...sewage, bilge waters, scrubber mix, etc.?????..... reading back to the OP and the links posted.

Back
Top Bottom