CAT3306 part ID or function?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
I need help to identify a part/bolt on the fuel system.
Recently, I’ve discovered fuel drops under the governor. It looked like the fuel was coming out of a nipple/bleeder? I figured, if I tighten it up, the bleeding will stop. Unfortunately, the nipple broke in half, instead of turning. I suspect, it was already cracked, since it did not need much power for this to happen.
I did see a tiny hole inside the broken part, so I have purchased screw extractors to remove and replace it. The screw extractors could not move it, and yesterday the tip of the screw extractor broke inside the small hole in the nipple. Now I have no way the remove this broken part. My only option is to drill it out, but I am worried about the diesel fuel being present there. Not only I do not want to start a fire, but also, what happens when I drill a larger hole in there?
So, the question is; can I drill in it, is it safe? If I can, what will happen until I’ll be able to replace this nipple? Will fuel flow out? Or any other problems?
Honestly, I do not know what this nipple does. Is it for bleeding? If yes, what to bleed with it?
I looked at the CAT service manual I have, but there is no reference to this small bleeder.
See photos for more info. Thanks.

IMG_0516.jpg IMG_0518.jpg IMG_0517.jpg

Last edited:
No idea what it’s for but from looking at pic is that piece removable? Not the broken part but the whole part? I see two bolts and a well defined joint so I picture two bolts on the other side. I threw away my extractors as they failed the same way every time and they are impossible to drill. I have a set of left handed drill bits to help with snapped bolts.

No idea what it’s for but from looking at pic is that piece removable? Not the broken part but the whole part?

Yes, the whole assembly is removable, but it is not a simple task. It is a major repair.

Some injection pumps have a seal keeping fuel to one side, and keeping lube oil on the other side. Both seals on one shaft with a void between. Often this void is vented to keep the two fluids from mixing. So if you were seeing fuel coming out, the shaft fuel seal may be leaking. Not sure that this is the situation here, but it is a std design practice. Similar to weep holes on water pumps.

Some injection pumps have a seal keeping fuel to one side, and keeping lube oil on the other side. Both seals on one shaft with a void between. Often this void is vented to keep the two fluids from mixing. So if you were seeing fuel coming out, the shaft fuel seal may be leaking. Not sure that this is the situation here, but it is a std design practice. Similar to weep holes on water pumps.

Does it mean that the injection pump is cooled by oil, while it is pumping fuel to the injectors?

No, or not likely but there is a set of gears in there that need oil lube that actually drive the injection pump. On the other end of the shaft is of course the injection pump with fuel.
My different engine has a similar setup with gears lubed by oil , then an oil seal, a gap, then the fuel seal and then the injection pump.
Your oil seal would appear to be leaking.

I suspect that as Ski suggests it is simply a weep hole to tell you that one or the other fluids is leaking and a seal is in trouble.

You might try the same question on Boat Diesel asking dave who is the Cat expert. NOte his lower case name spelling as there are other Daves.

Last edited:
Your oil seal would appear to be leaking.

I suspect that as Ski suggests it is simply a weep hole to tell you that one or the other fluids is leaking and a seal is in trouble.

You might try the same question on Boat Diesel asking dave who is the Cat expert. NOte his lower case name spelling as there are other Daves.

I only see diesel drops. No lube oil.
I’ll check Boat Diesel.
Thanks.

I see you got your answer from dave. Good.

I misunderstood and went the wrong way. Regardless one of those seals is worn, the diesel side.

I see you got your answer from dave. Good.

I misunderstood and went the wrong way. Regardless one of those seals is worn, the diesel side.

Yes, Dave was kind enough to explain this to me. This bleeder is a weep hole to let fuel out, in case of a gasket failure. There are two gaskets in there on the shaft. He suggests to remove the injection pump and the governor. I suspect, this is not an easy job. The seals might not be expensive, but the work to get to them is a big challenge. I looked at my CAT service manual, which briefly describes the governor removal, and I can see, you need to know what you are doing.
If I had a good step by step guide, I would do it. I am not sure, if something like this exist?
The other option is hire this job out, which would greatly deplete my budget. I need to think about this and gather more information.

A shop manual would likely give more info but even those assume you are a mechanic.

May be doable for you with that manual though.
I don't know what Cat would charge for one of those but ask. Find and have handy the actual serial number and specific engine model number to ensure you get the correct manual. It may not matter but have them handy.

If not that way then there may be other options such as Ebay.

Also some sites offer manuals for many engines as a download or a DVD.
Then you can print out the pages of interest. They usually charge a whole lot less.

A shop manual would likely give more info but even those assume you are a mechanic.

If not that way then there may be other options such as Ebay.

Then you can print out the pages of interest. They usually charge a whole lot less.

Great idea. Thanks. A good manual is always an asset, no matter which way I’ll go.
How would a shop manual differ from another manual? I have this one, see the photo. It does cover many sections, but also includes all type of engine configurations. I am not a mechanic, so the manual to me looks very mixed up. I don’t see a strait down structure of the servicing processes, plus quite limited in details, which could guide me clearly through repairs and troubleshooting.Do you think there is a better manual available?IMG_0308.jpg

A shop manual would likely give more info but even those assume you are a mechanic..

I've searched around for the manual. It seems that I have the only version for servicing these engines. The ones available for this serial number look the same inside what I have.
If that is the case, you certainly need to be a mechanic to do repair work. The manual is good enough for maintenance and troubleshooting, but it is limited on the details, when it comes to fixing things.
I'll keep searching.

THe shop manuals go into the disassembly, tolerances for rebuild, and many other aspects of the engine that the owners manual does not. The shop manual is aimed at mechanics. Also specialized tools where needed although often a good mechanic can work around that if the repair is a one off.

THe parts manual you show may have shown that broken nipple.

On my engine I often use the parts manual to see just how thing are arranged and go together.

Have you actually talked to a good Cat parts person about a shop manual? Actually talked to them? If you are strictly using the computer you may not get very far. My shop manual was listed with a part number in the back of my owners manual. Once I had that then I ordered it even though the engine was by then 30-35 yrs old. I had to wait several weeks as they were no longer stocked but were printed to order, but I got it.

Actually for anyone else following this thread it is worth while getting the parts and the shop manuals for your engine. If I ever replaced my engine or got a new boat I would be after those manuals immediately.

Even if you personally have no intention of going that deeply into a repair or adjustment having that information may be the difference between a short interval or a LONG interval for a repair especially as our engines age.

Last edited:
Actually for anyone else following this thread it is worth while getting the parts and the shop manuals for your engine. If I ever replaced my engine or got a new boat I would be after those manuals immediately.

Understand now and agreed.
I will try to find that number and order it. It is worth the money. I do prefer to understand things, even if I am not the one who does the repair.
I will contact a CAT shop and see what they have for me?

I also like to take several detailed pictures of whatever I'm attempting to work on. They can answer the question, "did this go up or down? etc...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom