Boat Ranking / Selection spreadsheet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Choosing the right boat

At 2016 Kent Island Trawlerfest Steve Zimmerman presented a seminar on choosing a boat, etc. He used a terrific method based on how you plan to use the boat. I’m sure you can call Steve to get a copy of the two page selection format. Best money I spent was going to Trawlerfest BEFORE buying a boat. Surveys, legal, insurance, titling, hull shapes, construction methods, detecting water in coring, and so much more! Scary to think I might have bought a trawler without that preparation.
Having said that, local knowledge matters. South Carolina has lots of thin water and fast, large hi/low tides. Draft will be a major consideration, and some speed above hull speed matters. When I started looking for a boat, I contacted Kevin Parker in Wilmington, as he knows the Carolinas very well, asked about what was important to his Carolinas clients. We had several conversations before we looked at the first boat. He chose the best surveyor I’ve ever heard of for the first boat I made an offer on. So many problems on that boat that I didn’t see... shaft whip, hot spots on the engine, etc., cancelled that purchase. A big question for you is whether you plan to use the boat outside or inside.
While I bought my Camano in Rhode Island, brought it down in big water including offshore of New Jersey, endured a stern wind for 8 hours on Delaware Bay, etc., most of my cruising is in North Carolina’s fantastic Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds and associated Rivers. The Camano, Nordic Tugs 32/34, Cape Dory 28/30 and similar boats are very popular for these waters. Give a look at a map of NC north of Morehead City, and you’ll see why the waters and delightful Colonial towns all over that area make NC “small trawler heaven”. Transient slips, permanent slips, fuel, repairs, are all so much more affordable than on the Chesapeake, too!
So, my recommendation, get Zimmerman’s boat selection guide, attend Trawlerfest (Admiral will join me for my second Trawlerfest this year), choose Kevin or another Carolinas broker before you start looking, think about how you will use the boat, (# people on board, length of trips, lowest water depths, etc,), and identify best surveyors ahead of time. Each step in that process was important, fun, and I’m delighted with the outcome! Best wishes!

Consider more than one spreadsheet.
Start with your idea for ratings of Types of boats: (Designed Mission) Live aboard; seaworthy; hull; cabin; accommodations, (just the boat itself)

Another spreadsheet regarding:
Machinery: Drive Train; Engine/s; Generator; Windless; Auto Pilot; Backup Steerage; Etc. (Single vs twin; etc)

Another for
Add on Accessories: Thruster/s; Electronics; Appliances; Systems; Davits; Tender; etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom