battery charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I need to install a battery charger on the starting battery for the generator. any suggestions on which battery charger to get ? I will only be charging one battery , My bilge pump is connected to this battery ,, thank you

I have 2 Promariner chargers. Work very well.

"My bilge pump is connected to this battery ,"

I would select a charger that puts out more amps than the bilge pump requires.

Just in case,

I installed a new Promariner last year. From the research I did they seem to be good quality.

Your generator starting battery should have no loads on it other than the genset's starting motor and certainly not bilge pumps. These should be powered by the house batteries.

So does your genset have its own DC alternator connected to the starting battery. Some do not. If there is no genset alternator for the starting battery then you need at least a 5 amp charger which should be sufficient to power the genset's diesel lift pump (assuming it is 12 volts).

Otherwise any small charger should work, even a Battery Tender.

David

Kevmar, my genset battery is maintained by a 25watt solar panel connected via a simple regulator. So far it has worked flawlessly, independent of other boat systems.

When I bought the boat some idiot had connected a fridge to the genset battery, which had no source of charge except the genset alternator,when it was running. The fridge was soon connected elsewhere.

I agree with David above that I would not want a bilge pump to be connected to the genset start battery. Even worse if you don't have a charger on it.

This is a perfect application for something like an Echo Charger or Duo-charger. I have a Balmar Duo-Charger that keep my Genset battery charged.

The Xantrex Echo Charger will supply 15 amps of charge current to the start battery from the house bank whenever the house bank is is over a set voltage (13.?v). The only downside is that it delivers the same charge profile to the start bank as it is getting from the house bank. It also will cut out if there is over a 2v disparity between the house and start bank. It is really cheap and easy to install.

The Balmar Duo-Charge will charge at up to 30 amps the same way. When the house bank shows over 13.2 volts the Duo-Charge starts charging the start battery. Two advantages is that there isn't the 2v disparity issue, so if your start battery for some reason drains to 11v and your house bank is being floated at 13.4v, the Duo-Charge will charge the start battery where the Echo Charger won't. You can also configure the Duo-Charge for 4 different charge profiles independent of the charge profile of your house bank. It is a bit more expensive than the Echo Charger but not quite as fool-proof to install.

I have an Echo Charger on my engine start battery, and Duo Chargers on my genset start battery and another on my thruster/windlass bank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom