Bags of ready mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrawlerTed

So we have been getting familiar with our new (to us) 36 Universal trawler. Crawling around in the aft stowage area where the water tanks are, I noticed that the PO has 6-8 bags of ready-mix wrapped up in plastic bags down at the bottom of the hull. I guess he could have been planning some construction project on a distant island and needed to transport some concrete, lol! But I'm thinking this is some kind of ballast? Or maybe to lower the aft end? Anyone heard of this before? Thanks!
Ted & Elaine

Is the boat trimmed? (working)

Is it creating any problems below? (if not, then if not taking up storage...good to go)

Ted,

I would think some kind of ballast or balance solution. I did that one summer when I had removed the fuel tanks for repair in a previous boat.

Rob

........ I'm thinking this is some kind of ballast? Anyone heard of this before?

It's ballast. I used reclaimed lead in 25lb bags, with the bags wrapped in very heavy gauge 'demo' plastic bags. If the boat doesn't have a trim or list issue it mostly likely will if you remove the ballast.

Usually this is used to address listing issues once the vessel is loaded. In my case, my galley is all to port as are two 8D batteries. This is exacerbated once the galley cabinets and fridge are full). I placed about 700lbs of lead ballast to Stbd to balance the list.

Yup, trim and balance, because the PO was too cheap to buy lead. ;)

Mine came with a bunch of sheet lead back near the rudder post and she's trimmed beautifully fore and aft. However, when we got her we were bothered by a marked list to port. I bought 500 lbs of lead ingots (50 lb each) to trim her 'thwartships.

Yes, it is for trimming a list or fore and aft. I used 66 pound lead ingots to trim a previous boat. I glassed the lead in to keep it from moving but also to seal the lead since it is hazardous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom