Anyone seen this model of Wakespeed alternator regulator before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Oz seller and cheap ( $500 ) but not the white box version I see elsewhere

Note there are no DIP switches in this model. Programming is via the Smartphone app or a serial connection to the controller itself by removing the cover and plugging into the USB connection inside.

WS500-2022.jpg

https://www.safiery.com/WS500-alternator-charging-can-bus-controller

Last edited:
@Simi60: Where do you see it for sale? It is not on the Wakespeed/Dragonfly website.

Is Wakespeed a great regulator? $500 seems pricey to me. You can by two Sterling regulators with alternator and battery temp protection for $500.

Is Wakespeed a great regulator? $500 seems pricey to me. You can by two Sterling regulators with alternator and battery temp protection for $500.
Australia
And sterling don't do lifepo4

Their chargers do. Don't know about regulation, but if it's programmable, does it matter?

From Ben Sterling last night in an email to me

We would not be recommending an alternator regulator for use on direct charge of a lithium battery in any instance, as you generally would require a current limiting charger if powering a lithium system from an alternator base.

We would only be recommending you use battery to battery chargers so you can suitably control your system.

But my issue with the chargers is a 105 amp 36si Delco puts out around 80 amps at our 1150 rpm cruise.

Pulling 70 amps out of the starts (2 X 35amp sterling) will have that alt running full tits with smoke sure to follow.
Or am I wrong in that thinking?

Last edited:
Here are a couple of articles on the Wakespeed WS500 that do a far better job of describing the Wakespeed than I can. They are a bit dated and other regulator manufacturers may have caught up. Yes, they're spendy but if you have twins and want to tie the alternators together into one bank when compared to the cost of doing the same with Balmar gear the price gap narrows the last time I checked.

https://panbo.com/how-wakespeeds-ws...olves-complex-charging-issues-a-new-approach/

https://seabits.com/wakespeed-ws-500-regulator-review/

I love the balmar regulator. I have the networked one with the smart shunt and sg200 display. The balmar has a setting for maximum field so you can limit the output to whatever you want. Plus, all the settings you could want are programmable from your phone.

From Ben Sterling last night in an email to me

But my issue with the chargers is a 105 amp 36si Delco puts out around 80 amps at our 1150 rpm cruise.

Pulling 70 amps out of the starts (2 X 35amp sterling) will have that alt running full tits with smoke sure to follow.
Or am I wrong in that thinking?

And the reply from Sterling today

80% of the alternators rating is what we have historically held as a firm upper limit on what the safe range for rating battery to battery chargers is- it’s what I’ve used for rating systems for the past three or so years and I’m yet to have an alternator failure.

I have had systems with impotent alternators that have collapsing input voltage on the unit- but the unit automatically downrates in this circumstance and should protect the alternator if it detects that it is struggling.

Thank you,

Ben

So yeah, it would seem that sterling 35amp X 2 may be the slightly more expensive but easier way to go for us.

Final thoughts on this will be we have 2 chargers at 35a each vs 1 Wakespeed
If the Wakespeed has issues we have 0 charge
Unlikely 2 Sterling's will crap out together so will still have 1

Good thinking. Simi. Bookmarking this thread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom