Air Marine question, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Streff

Vessel Make
Californian 45 MY
We have an older Air Marine system with 3 units.. Salon, Aft bedroom & Bow bedroom. After the haul out, the broker started the Salon unit but we never got heat out of it. He never checked if the water pump was effectively running water through the system. After about 45min, I shut it off. I know the unit used to work prior to the haul out. So I went down and got air out of the bleed spigot of the water pump.

I then tried the Salon unit and I still don’t get heat out but it does cool. The other 2 units work just fine on heat. I checked an in-line fuse that is located in the Salon unit wiring. It looked fine. I wonder what could have happened or got burned by activating the unit without water running through it. Not sure where to go from here outside calling a tech when they get back to work.

On another point, do these units require/or can take Freon top off?

Any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

Not familiar with your exact unit some generalities,

I assume your thermostat doesn’t give a fault code and shut down automatically for lack of seawater?

Does seawater exit from the salon unit thru hull? It should.

When the salon unit is calling for cold air, is it ice cold or tepid? It should be ice cold indicating the compressor is working. Compare with other units.

Is the thermostat actually calling for heat? If it is and no heat is coming out, it’s probably the reversing valve sticking or broke. When it comes on for heat, you should hear the valve solenoid click. Compare with other units. Some people have luck tapping on the solenoid with the screwdriver handle. It’s a small cylinder with wires going in, a copper valve body 1” dia. or so and a bunch of small copper tubes coming out of it.

If it’s a bad reversing valve, a shop can fix it but, it’s chancy and will have to be recharged. For an older unit, better off replacing with a new unit.

I have some older Air Marine units as well. Someone else on here commented about the controller and the location of a tiny fuse in that box. Pull the cover off and check that.

So curious, how did the broker get water to the pump inlet fitting before he started the unit on hard?

So curious, how did the broker get water to the pump inlet fitting before he started the unit on hard?

I assumed he meant after the haul out and back in the water. I shut off the seacock before getting hauled so the pump doesn’t lose prime and have that happen. And, several yellow stickies reminding me to open it again once splashed.

Thank you all for the responses and ideas. The unit appears to call for heat but I will try again today and look for the valve clicking. And try tapping and see how it goes.The unit runs and the thermostat seems to recognize heat vs cold as it clicks when I move the dial from warm to cold.

When I have it on cooling, the air coming out is cold for sure but not ice cold.. plenty cool for the PNW but maybe a diagnostic cue.

In terms of replacing the unit, I am not sure if I will need to change all 3 units since they are all tied together. The other 2 units are working fine for now. To complicate things, not many outfits are working at the moment and I am trying to limit others on the boat for the time being.

Regardless, I would like to have a run at fixing it since it was working really well a in February. Previous owner said the units have not been used much over the years with minimum wear & tear.

I will get on it checking things things today and report back.

Thank you again.

Thank you all for the responses and ideas. The unit appears to call for heat but I will try again today and look for the valve clicking. And try tapping and see how it goes.The unit runs and the thermostat seems to recognize heat vs cold as it clicks when I move the dial from warm to cold.

When I have it on cooling, the air coming out is cold for sure but not ice cold.. plenty cool for the PNW but maybe a diagnostic cue.

In terms of replacing the unit, I am not sure if I will need to change all 3 units since they are all tied together. The other 2 units are working fine for now. To complicate things, not many outfits are working at the moment and I am trying to limit others on the boat for the time being.

Regardless, I would like to have a run at fixing it since it was working really well a in February. Previous owner said the units have not been used much over the years with minimum wear & tear.

I will get on it checking things things today and report back.

Thank you again.

If you need to replace or troubleshoot it and live in the Seattle area, try:

Miller & Miller Boatyard

or

AMC Cliffv's Marine Service

Cliff is the PNW Dometic representative.

Back
Top Bottom