87 vintage relay battery paralleling switch system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookmeup

Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Symbol 44
Symbol 44 87 vintage has an old inoperative as far as I can determine remote control battery selector for paralleling all 3 battery banks. There is one panel that has two control relays and another panel with two large capacity switching relays that appear to be designed to parallel the engine start batteries with the house bank. I guess it's possible that this Could also allow the running engine(s) alternator to charge both engine and house bank. They cable size and switching solenoid size and terminals appear to be adequate for engine start current. One large switching relay has burn marks as does the panel inside cover so at some time it operated. I am thinking of removing it all and using the cables to install a zero loss battery bank isolator as a separate old diode splitter causes too much voltage drop and can't accommodate smart alternator regulators i plan on the future. Any thoughts from the forum on these panels and their use?

A photo might help. A couple good ones of the various pieces.

It almost sounds like an industrial contactor for motor control which would work for what you have quite well if it was chosen properly.

But descriptions don't work well.

I tested the large relays that looked burnt and they were. The panel cover inside said intermittent use only a nd that had a burn mark. So I pulled it all out as trash. The thing I will probably do is use the cables with a new large Amp switch as an emergency interconnect between the engine start batteries as a start back up.

Back
Top Bottom