Old 04-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Your picture prompted me to look up Craftsman Marine. Nice website, looks like quality stuff.

I like how there is a flexible coupling on your bow thruster. That and the 7 blade propeller, a hydrodynamic leg, and DIP switches on the control panel to set up the timer! Good stuff!
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #22
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Your picture prompted me to look up Craftsman Marine. Nice website, looks like quality stuff.

I like how there is a flexible coupling on your bow thruster. That and the 7 blade propeller, a hydrodynamic leg, and DIP switches on the control panel to set up the timer! Good stuff!
You noticed the same features I did. Something that is not so obvious is that they couple the 7 blade prop with a large motor and small diameter tunnel. The thrust is amazing and it is not as noisy as other units I have heard.

The tunnel on my thruster is 5.9" and produces 121 lb. of thrust. It is actually somewhat oversized. I could have used the smaller unit which has a tunnel diameter of only 4.33" and produces 77 lb. of thrust. Very compact.

Docking by Control claim to have done over 1,000 installations and were primarily Side Power distributors. They have switched to Craftsman Marine as their featured brand. The owner told me the components are the best available and the build quality is superb. They still sell and service all brands though.

Hmmm, I'll bet that small unit would be ideal for your Nordic Tug 26.

Larry
M/V Boomarang
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Larry, it looks to me they did an A+ job on the thruster installation.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Larry, it looks to me they did an A+ job on the thruster installation.
Thanks Mark,

That takes some of the sting out of the check I wrote!

Larry
Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B:

Confession time. When I first saw the title of this thread I thought must be Aussie slang and I only imagined the OP to have a serious medical issue. Was quite relieved to find out Boomerang wasn't a euphemism and just his boat name and the hole was quite intentional. Even thinking about what first came to my mind has made my hubby squirm.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #26
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
You noticed the same features I did. Something that is not so obvious is that they couple the 7 blade prop with a large motor and small diameter tunnel. The thrust is amazing and it is not as noisy as other units I have heard.

The tunnel on my thruster is 5.9" and produces 121 lb. of thrust. It is actually somewhat oversized. I could have used the smaller unit which has a tunnel diameter of only 4.33" and produces 77 lb. of thrust. Very compact.

Docking by Control claim to have done over 1,000 installations and were primarily Side Power distributors. They have switched to Craftsman Marine as their featured brand. The owner told me the components are the best available and the build quality is superb. They still sell and service all brands though.

Hmmm, I'll bet that small unit would be ideal for your Nordic Tug 26.

Larry
M/V Boomarang
I installed a Sidepower SP55S (and essentially upgraded to a SE60 with Q- prop and IPC circuitry) a few years ago in my driveway. 7.3" tunnel, 4hp, and rated at 132lbs force at 10.5v! Spins me around just fine. Yes, it is oversized, but I bought it unopened in a box for a fraction of it's retail price from a guy who built a hull and then gave up on the dream.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0411.jpg   IMG_0437.jpg   IMG_0835edit.jpg   IMG_0835edit2.jpg   IMG_0840.jpg  

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
I installed a Sidepower SP55S (and essentially upgraded to a SE60 with Q- prop and IPC circuitry) a few years ago in my driveway. 7.3" tunnel, 4hp, and rated at 132lbs force at 10.5v! Spins me around just fine. Yes, it is oversized, but I bought it unopened in a box for a fraction of it's retail price from a guy who built a hull and then gave up on the dream.
Northern Spy,

You are obviously good to go. That sounds like a great set up.

You know, come to think about it, I've never heard anyone complain that their thruster was too large . . . . . .

Wifey B,

Please remember, we are talking marine equipment and not anatomy here . . . .

Larry
Old 04-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post

Wifey B,

Please remember, we are talking marine equipment and not anatomy here . . . .

Larry
Wifey B:

That's what you get for a catchy title. You could have just said, "I installed a bow thruster."

And for the record, I spent years with lake boats, no thrusters. Now mostly twins so 99% of the time none needed. But having had thrusters now I can see times even back then I would have used them and I'm sure glad to have them now. I laugh when I hear people say "I've done it for 50 years without" or "Generations of captains have lived without them." Meanwhile that same person is talking on his cell phone, while microwaving his lunch, having driven his car which has front and side airbags and no-flat tires. And tonight at home he'll choose from 300 tv channels while reclining in his La Z Boy. I've been made by the Captain training me to learn to do it all without using them but also made to fully appreciate all they can do and their proper use.

On the lake, we were one of the few boats with radar. But one time caught 20 miles up the lake in a thunderstorm as it suddenly turns quite dark out even though not time to be dark and bass boats zooming by with no lights on and you appreciate it too.

We need to retain the skills to function if technology fails us but otherwise not try to prove our meddle by failing to use what we have available. Last time I recall really being happy to have thrusters on a boat was when we were on an outer dock, side tie. 25 knot winds, strong current both blowing toward the dock. Boats fore and aft of us. Heck, now I want a car that will walk sideways.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #29
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Haven't you guys heard? Thrusters are socially acceptable now.

People with azimuth pods on their boats are big cheaters however.

Now that's funny if I had a thruster I would use it you bet.

I do have stabilizers so maybe I am only a cheater in heavy weather.

Hmmmm
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote