Shade Shade Shade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple more pics of our setup.
Living and cruising here in Queensland, we have a similar (to Florida) heat/sun issue, which was one of the reasons my wife would not allow me to buy an aft cabin style boat. We finally found a sedan version, and then did this. Looks like you might benefit from similar over the aft section now....while you are on a Sunbrella roll.....

Thanks Peter B, It is very hot and humid there. I remember the first time I stepped off the plane in Brisbane, I thought I was going to die before I could get into the terminal. We lived two years in Sydney and two in Perth. We enjoyed Perth the most. Applied for permenant residence twice but was denied. So back to the good ol USA.

If I could think of a way to do a canvas over the back half and make it look good on this style of trawler I would. So far I haven't seen anyone who has done that, and haven't had any bright ideas of my own.

How about just getting a frame guy to do this...?
It would actually incorporate the existing side deck extensions you have had put on there already. We did the same but from the stern cockpit forwards, as the original set-up just had a small square of suspended canvas jutting out from the back of the flybridge deck and only covering 2/3 of the cockpit and nothing over the side decks at all. Its the best thing we have done we reckon.

Attachments

• Image109-2.jpg
    Image109-2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 131
  • Image112-2.jpg
    Image112-2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Image107-1.jpg
    Image107-1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Image099.jpg
    Image099.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 491
Peter that looks really nice. I just don't know how to do something with mine since I have the trunk on mine that you have to walk on to get to the flybridge. It would have to be so high to allow access to the FB that I think it would not look good.

I've seen it done on boats like yours over here. They set it at the height about halfway between the flybridge deck and the rails, so there is room to duck under for flybridge access, and put a zippered opening, like in one of my picks, over the flybridge steps. Done well it can look quite good, and it sure keeps rain and sun off the roof of the aft cabin.

Last edited:
I like the idea of having a bow cover that can come off when cruising and be snapped on/ties on when at dock or anchor.

How about just getting a frame guy to do this...?
It would actually incorporate the existing side deck extensions you have had put on there already. We did the same but from the stern cockpit forwards, as the original set-up just had a small square of suspended canvas jutting out from the back of the flybridge deck and only covering 2/3 of the cockpit and nothing over the side decks at all. Its the best thing we have done we reckon.

Peter:

I'm still envious of your canvas. I've been holding off on that project while I attend to more pressing issues. But, since a cockpit bimini is becoming a hot (pun intended) issue for me, maybe I should go all in and do your mod.

- Darrell

SHADE, SHADE, SHADE SHADE, SHADE, SHADE SHADE YOUR BOOTY SHADE YOUR BOOTY etc,etc,etc

KC and the Sunshine Band

Now, let's really get serious about shade!!

img_99804_0_0a9e1105acd9f9dfe998c485d9f9a4bc.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, That is some serious canvas.

Somebody got a Sailrite sewing machine for Christmas. And a bucket of amphetamines.

Thanks all, It really has helped. We have only one AC unit. There was no way it could keep up before. Now it does a nice job.

That shade is really a good idea!!

If you haven' already insulated your boat.. The Admiral has insulated our boat with an insulation called "Reflectix" or something like that...it is like thin bubble pack but it has foil on both sides.... She put it everywhere she could on our boat....and it made a huge difference both in summer and winter.

We liveaboard full time...and our power is metered...and I despise high utility bills.... But with the insulation in place, generally our electric is under $100 a month....and we have three AC's on the boat... Boat stays comfortable.

If you did do it Darrell, you wouldn't ever regret it. We enjoy sitting out there now, rain, hail or shine.

Our canvas top is navy but when it came to window covers, I went with white Phifertex Plus on the windows (for summer i have covers for the front made out of white marine vinyl and Phifertex for Winter). We are live aboard in Florida and it keeps our boat cool we can still see out a little. I made our hatch and aft cabin door cover out of Navy Sunbrella. Now I wish I had gone with white marine vinyl. It does radiate heat but I've insulated it and it helps a little.

On a prior boat I made the mistake of having a black windshield cover . You could feel the heat radiating through the windshield. Got rid of it quick and had a white marine vinyl cover made. It made ALL the difference in the world.

Attachments

• image-1690773266.jpg
    image-1690773266.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 137
One of my dock mates has a older Betram and there is no area that is not covered by canvas but the foredeck. He has some sun related illness but refuses to give up his love for boating. A true love for boating !! as i see him and his wife every weekend out on the water and at the dock . " they drive 3 hours to even get to the boat"

Back
Top Bottom