Auto pilot boat tracking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSOUZA2

Mainship 390, boat is new to us this year. We have auto pilot raymarine 6000. I cannot get this boat to track it is all over the place. Response set to #2 gain set to 4 or 5 . Any advise would be appreciated.

Do you know what course computer and pump you have? You might want to try looking in the manual at the setup steps, maybe resetting it to factory then try Raymarines suggested setup steps. Also Raymarine has good tech support, you just might be on hold for a while. *I had a 6000 on a previous boat and had issues with it not tracking, I called Raymarine and they gave me some suggestions that really helped out. Sorry I dont recall what they told me to do, it was over five years ago.
They also have a FAQ section on the web site.

http://raymarine.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/raymarine.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?

It sounds like a settings issue, BTW setting the gain at 4 is high, should start at 0, and there probably needs to be a recalibration. You need to go through the manual and start from scratch. Also be SURE you have no metal object near the autopilot fluxgate compass. Chuck

Ditto to what Chuck said about metal near the fluxgate compass. after we moved all our "stuff" onto our, new to us, boat it would not track but kept hunting all over the place. Several folks suggested that problem. After a long search for the compass, I had no idea where it was, I found it back to back with our shopvac with only a plywood bulkhead separating them. We moved the vac. and it fixed the problem in that case.
Steve

Also check that a rudder position sensor is working , if that is part of the system.

These frequently are in very damp locations and eventually need replacement.

Back
Top Bottom