Front window support bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
Like many TT’s my Albin 36 DC has a forward center window that can be held open with a sliding device on a fixed tube and held in place with a screw. My tube is made of thin-wall stainless and will warp/bend over time from using the holding screw making it practically impossible to open or close. I’ve twice had a machine shop do the best they can to true it up but it is not a permanent fix.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any options or fixes?

Terry

Window is too far forward to use a hatch holder like this.

I think we may have the same type of window? We cut 2 pieces of 3/4 by 3/4" teak, 2 sizes, one is 18" and the other is 9". We use either one based on how much air we want to let in. We put a 1/4" philips wood screw on the frame size to keep it place and beveled the teak on the window side. Originally I cut one for both sides but found that we didn't have any issues with the window twisting using just one.

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 030a.jpg
    030a.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
meridian said:
Like many TT’s my Albin 36 DC has a forward center window that can be held open with a sliding device on a fixed tube and held in place with a screw. My tube is made of thin-wall stainless and will warp/bend over time from using the holding screw making it practically impossible to open or close. I’ve twice had a machine shop do the best they can to true it up but it is not a permanent fix.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any options or fixes?

Terry

Our boat had a fixed plated bronze tube that supports a sliding fixture with a rod that opens the front center window. The sliding fixture has a screw knob that pushes a curved piece of metal against the fixed tube to lock the window in position. When we got the boat, the fixed tube had a lot of dents and flat spots in it from people over-tightening the knob over the years. We replaced it with a piece of 3/4" stainless handrail tubing that we just happened to come across in a West Marine one day. The fixed rod, which I believe is solid, has not given any problems.

We have had no problems with the stainless handrail tubing, but we are careful not to crank down on the locking knob. I'm sure if one did it would dent and flat spot, too, although the walls seem a bit thicker than the walls of the original plated bronze tube.

Don't know if this solution would work for you but it has for us. Prior to us finding the length of 3/4" handrail tubing we were contemplating having a local machine shop simply turn and polish a 3/4" rod for us out of stainless bar stock.

The two photos are the only ones I have on this iPad that show the GB's arrangement.

image-3064213713.jpg

image-3557805983.jpg

Last edited:
Marin, thats the info I needed
Terry

I'm toying wiyh making my newly orderede windows electric ram opening....they are hard to reach anyway.

If you don't like the tube style...the Albin 40 in my age era had bronze supports on both sides that are slotted and notched that the screws clamp down in the notches...better than the tube onse I think.

Newer GBs use the curved, slotted sliders with friction knobs on either side of the opening front window instead of the tube-slider-and-rod arrangement of the earlier boats like ours. The only complaint I've ever heard about them is the friction knobs can be hard for some people to reach.

I'm toying wiyh making my newly orderede windows electric ram opening....they are hard to reach anyway.

Is that an option from your supplier?

It's been several years since having admittedly very limited experience with linear actuators. The ones I was exposed to had a kinda jerky action to them. Sure the ones they sell now are much improved.

Nice outside of the box idea:thumb:

Newer GBs use the curved, slotted sliders with friction knobs on either side of the opening front window instead of the tube-slider-and-rod arrangement of the earlier boats like ours. The only complaint I've ever heard about them is the friction knobs can be hard for some people to reach.

My whole window arrangement is hard to reach without stepping on the galley counter...thus my thoughts to go electric ...a lot of the new express models have their center window in an electric ram and it spoiled me to the convenience...:D

Is that an option from your supplier?

It's been several years since having admittedly very limited experience with linear actuators. The ones I was exposed to had a kinda jerky action to them. Sure the ones they sell now are much improved.

Nice outside of the box idea:thumb:

Not from my window manufacturer...just thought I could add one as so many of the newer express boats have one to open their front 1/2 window.

They worked very well and were pretty reliable on most of the Sea Rays I used to run.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom