Dingy Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeybadger

Vessel Name
HoneyBadger
Vessel Make
1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
I have an 8ft fiberglass dingy and a 3.5 hp motor. I had plans to fab davits for Icw travel and tow it for open water. At my marina checked out another option, Boat had a aluminum A frame that tied to the aft cleats and then to the front of the Dingy. Set so that it was just starboard of the prop wash but not riding on the wake. Asking he said he had no worries about line getting caught in the prop that way and the Dingy would not be all around the boat when waiting on bridges. The story of towing that dingy off Cuba that during a storm ended up fouling the prop and rudder ending in the loss of the boat & a friend had his on davits when the weather kicked up and a large stern wave destroyed the dingy along with tearing up the mounts and leaving a few large holes above the water line . And from personal storms where stored over head or on deck you cant stand in wheel house and going above to try and deploy anything would be at best stupid. Thoughts ? :confused:

Sound like you need a live raft and a dink. The life rafts is for off shore and/or emergencies. Most off shore/coastal carry the dink so in following seas the dink is not a concern/danger.

Back
Top Bottom