View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Phil Fill
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
The QCR was the anchor that was on the bow when we bought the boat, and the danforth was on the deck. We tried the QCR but we just plowed up the bottom but the bottom was mud/sand, so we switch to the Danforth that stuck and held. So for 5+ years we used the Danforth 100% of the time. At most of the Mariana stuck us on the commercial dock, as we said we were a full displacement trawler, as we start sub renting during the summer on the Everett Commercial dock, where 90+% had Forjord anchors with all chain. So one of the commercial had a Forjord anchor in there storage shed, so I bought it for like 200 bucks, and stuck it on the bow. We have only anchors a couple of time with it but in calm weather.

I figure the Forjord is sort of between the QCR and the Dandforth as the flukes are long and narrow. It seem the big the boat the more navy type anchor are used. I took out the forward thrust on the bow thruster, yes forward thrust, so can carry more weight in the bow. I am tending to do with more chain than a bigger anchor? Anyway since we are on the commercial dock the Forjord is the anchor on the bow.

I prefer those things called DOCKS, rather than anchors, but if we start heading North we will be forced to anchor. Lastly I plan on using the stead sail at anchor to reduce the swing as a straight pull is better than a side pull, and a all chian rode at 3 to 5 scope. A straight pull, heave all chain road and scope has to be a big factor on how a anchor sets and holds?

Anchoring is still a big question/unknown to us.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote