Best adapted pet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have encouraged the two Tollers we've had since owning the GB to go on the deck, and they did when they were young, particularly the dog we have now. But they soon "outgrew" it on their own although each of them used/uses the deck if truly necessary.

So we've always dinghied them ashore several times a day, the last time usually being about 8 or 9 at night. It's as good for us as it is for them--- gets us out and about and we almost always see something new or interesting.

Those of you that have your dogs in the dingy...what do you find the best way to get them in and out of the dingy from the main deck? Then in and out of the dingy onshore?

Those of you that have your dogs in the dingy...what do you find the best way to get them in and out of the dingy from the main deck? Then in and out of the dingy onshore?

We have a swim platform with a transom door so getting on/off and in/out of the dinghy is easy. When we reach shore, he hops out on command. Coming back to the boat, Morgan gets in the dinghy after a rinse to get the sand off. Once back on the boat he gets a fresh water rinse on the swim platform before he goes inside. After 5 years it's a routine that we both know.

We have a swim platform with a transom door so getting on/off and in/out of the dinghy is easy. When we reach shore, he hops out on command. Coming back to the boat, Morgan gets in the dinghy after a rinse to get the sand off. Once back on the boat he gets a fresh water rinse on the swim platform before he goes inside. After 5 years it's a routine that we both know.

I'm assumung you have a cockpit door and the swim platform is a close step?

I asking more from those that have you standard aft cabin, 36-48 models where it's a goof 2-3 feet to the swim platform....and possibly a narrow enough one where it's difficult to use anything but a ladder.

Tollers weigh 35-50 pounds. So we simply lift the dog from the aft deck to the swimstep at which point the dog hops into the dinghy on his own. Coming back we first clip the dinghy to the Weaver snap-davits, the dog gets out onto the swimstep and stands parallel to the transom with his head toward the boarding gate in the rail, I stand up with one foot in the dinghy and one on the swimstep, put one hand under his chest and one behind his rear legs and boost him up over the bulwark. A GB36, particularly a pre-1988 GB36, has fairly low freeboard at the stern so getting the dog back on board is very easy.

Tollers weigh 35-50 pounds. So we simply lift the dog from the aft deck to the swimstep at which point the dog hops into the dinghy on his own. Coming back we first clip the dinghy to the Weaver snap-davits, the dog gets out onto the swimstep and stands parallel to the transom with his head toward the boarding gate in the rail, I stand up with one foot in the dinghy and one on the swimstep, put one hand under his chest and one behind his rear legs and boost him up over the bulwark. A GB36, particularly a pre-1988 GB36, has fairly low freeboard at the stern so getting the dog back on board is very easy.

Thanks...girlfriend's paranoid 75 pound, 9 year old golden retriever is gonna be a challenge..:eek:

The best boat pet ever conceived.

petRock1.jpg

Yes, because if you get a large enough one you can use your pet for an anchor, too. Of course for that you'd want to get a purebred rock, the breed with a rollbar.

Yes, because if you get a large enough one you can use your pet for an anchor, too. Of course for that you'd want to get a purebred rock, the breed with a rollbar.

:lol:

Gotta make sure it rolls over all proper like and digs into the bottom to set firmly.

Greetings,
Another thing to consider which is the gist of this whole thread is if you DO succeed in training your pet rock to "go" on the boat you're going to be constantly sweeping up gravel!

Greetings,
Another thing to consider which is the gist of this whole thread is if you DO succeed in training your pet rock to "go" on the boat you're going to be constantly sweeping up gravel!

Ballast! :lol:

Greetings,

No, No. Gravel is the result of rocks breeding, I think.

Ben, what are you going to do with it when it grows up? That's where boulders come from, you know.:D:D
That`s easy, carry it in your bruce anchor.
BruceK. (and no, I never designed an anchor)

If you get a gecko, not only do you not have to walk it, but it will eat the boat bugs! :lol:

If you get a gecko, not only do you not have to walk it, but it will eat the boat bugs! :lol:

That's true, but he will keep trying to sell you insurance.:D

I like mine.

I don't have to feed it and it follows me where ever I go.

Friends like it too.

the only problem is it won't come when I call. I have to lure it to me with a treat.

Usually a pice of fish or something shiny.

sd

Attachments

• Fishing 060.JPG
    Fishing 060.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I'm assumung you have a cockpit door and the swim platform is a close step?

I asking more from those that have you standard aft cabin, 36-48 models where it's a goof 2-3 feet to the swim platform....and possibly a narrow enough one where it's difficult to use anything but a ladder.

OK now that the pet rock owners have had their fun...:rolleyes:

I was serious about anyone getting a bigger, older dog into the dingy, onto the dock from a tri-cabin model

As to the gecko selling you insurance, all you have to do is teach him the word "no"! :lol:

Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. There are life jackets for dogs which have a fair amount of chest support and not just straps. With a good grab handle on the back one should be able to manage a fair sized canine by just lifting and hefting up and over provided the dog doesn't freak out. Similar to this which spreads forces over a larger area on the chest...
Dog Life Jackets-Keep your dog water safe!

skipperdude said:
I like mine.

I don't have to feed it and it follows me where ever I go.

Friends like it too.

the only problem is it won't come when I call. I have to lure it to me with a treat.

Usually a pice of fish or something shiny.

sd

I thought you were talking about my wife...the shiny thingy is usually a diamond...!

Back
Top Bottom