BBxpress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budds Outlet

Does anyone here use bbxpress for wifi internet at marinas in Puget Sound. I have used the services for several years while on vacation cruising Puget Sound.

I tried going to their site via Google and got a Google message that the site might harm my computer with maleware or something. Has anyone else had the issue?

Its free in the Everett marina. We have used for about 6 months.

It has been reported that BBX has been infected with malware. I heard this report in the Broughton Islands, BC Canada.

The malware spoofs some sites like AOL and wants you to enter user name, password, and your credit card number!

If you get this kind of behavior on your PC, turn off your wifi connection and run your anti-virus software.

Carey of this forum used BBX for awhile. Perhaps he'll chime in here with his experience but as I recall from being with them in various marinas he found the signal was quite weak if one was farther out in the marina, for example the inside of the breakwater (customs dock) at Friday Harbor. He invested in the signal booster they sold but I don't believe it helped much.

He subsequently dropped BBX in favor of using a little 3G (I think) receiver from his phone service provider that plugs into his computer. I believe it's simply part of his mobile phone contract and from what I've observed it works great pretty much anywhere he is in the islands.

I also just use a WiFi 3G hotspot (I'm on it now). It only costs $20 for unlimited data for us Boeing folks so it's quite a good deal. I would much rather use this connection than deal with BBX (or more accurately Beacon Wireless... BBX no longer exists).

Thank you so much for the information. I won't keep trying to connect to them.

Yes, I used BBX on occasion, just purchasing a three day access at a time. As Marin stated, it was very weak everywhere we went if you were near the edges of the marina.

We now use Clear (used to be clearwire). They are our wireless internet provider at home, and for a bundled price, we added the 3G/4G usb device that works real well all over the continental US. It always works better than the free wireless provided by most hotels. The 3G/4G is not cheap, at about $40/month. The 4G seldom works, accept in very large population areas.

We did end up using a 3 day access this weekend at Dock Street Marina in Tacoma. At first it would not connect. After I contacted their support and gave them a current card to charge I was able to connect and it worked well. I have an external wifi antena that makes all the diference. Without it I could not get the BBX but with it I had a strong signal and no problems with the BBX.

When I retire and spend more time on the boat and other travel activities I plan on going 3G/4G. I hope by then the 4G becomes more available.

We have an AT&T 3G iPad. So far it has connected well and fast everywhere we've gone with it in the islands.

Back
Top Bottom