Some interesting ideas from a pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
like anyone with enough experience....one boat never does it all...you can tell the newbies when they list requirements for their new/next boat that haven't been achieved yet design-wise or are in conflict with one another.

the only solution is multiple boats or charters.

i mostly agree... but not sre if I would trade the canal boat for a really rugged cruiser/ice breaker in Alaska.

FF, those guys are playing in a realm I could only imagine (and I'd probably still come up $hort)! I do like the canal boat idea though. 6 million I would be a happy camper, 100x that??? Hell I'd probably take a month just to plan what to start with.

I think I'd like to start up a charter company that just does rentals for people to do the Loop (mainly KW to the Lakes). Kinda like our own version of canal boat rentals.

The canal boat is interesting. However one must keep in mind that the canals on the Continent are much wider than the ones in the UK. With only a couple of exceptions the UK canals limit the size of a narrowboat to 72 feet by about 6-1/2 feet. Be hard to pump several millions into a planform that size unless you gold-plated the boat.:)

We've been over the aqueduct pictured in one of the posts on several occasions. Pretty impressive considering it was built in the late 1700s/early 1800s and still uses its original cast iron trough to carry the canal.

Back
Top Bottom