Bonaire to Trinidad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry M

Guru
Site Team
We had a big change of plans as we were getting ready to leave Bonaire. We had a nice 2-day weather window (best we'd seen all summer) and were looking forward to exploring a few of the outer islands of Venezuela. We had 3-4 stops planned and figured to spend a week or two; doesn't sound like much time but we weren't planning to check in with the authorities so we didn't want to hang out too long at any one spot.

Hmm, what's that swirly thing on the grib file (later to become Ernesto)? Decision time: do we leave immediately and get to Trinidad in front of the storm or do we hang in Bonaire and wait for the next weather window? The fact that we're in Trinidad gives you that answer and it worked out fine. Although there were times when faced with 2+ kts of counter current and the last 24 hours of rolling in big beam seas, we wondered if we'd made the right call.

We're not sure we'd recommend this southern route for eastbound passages; with the mainland of Venezuela essentially off-limits these days, it’s a real test of your patience. We’re glad it's behind us. The only damage done was to one of the fish; we’re not sure if we hit something or if it just blew as a result of age/stress. Now on to more important things - like new paint and gel-coat for Hobo!

Here’s the trip summary: Bonaire to Trinidad: 425 miles. We had contrary current of at least 1 knot and as much as 2.5 knots for the entire trip. The first half we had lighter head winds and less current. We typically cruise at 6-6.5 knots, burn 1.8 gph and get 3.8 mpg with light winds and no current.

First 224 miles: 4.9 knot average SOG, 3.2 mpg, 1.5 gph
Last 201 miles: 4.0 knot average SOG, 2.0 mpg, 2.0 gph

Attached are a few pictures: Commercial salt operation in Bonaire that makes/processes 400,000 tons/year, one of local wild donkeys, a visit by the Venezuelan Coast Guard, the commercial/recreation harbor in Chaguaramas, and the broken fish before and after.

Attachments

• Bonaire 103.jpg
    Bonaire 103.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Bonaire 045.jpg
    Bonaire 045.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Bonaire to Trinidad 005.jpg
    Bonaire to Trinidad 005.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 179
Great post Larry! Keep them coming!

Larry

I didn't realize that you were coming this way. I work in the oilfields very close from Puerto La Cruz and I would be happy to see you around here.
Nice post and believe me, that kind of weather is not "normal" at this time of the year. Only that this year there's too much humidity in the air above the southern Caribbean and there is no explanation for this. Is this one of the effects of the Global Warming? Some folks who do fishing charter for a living are very annoyed with this abnormal phenomenon.

If you are in Trinidad, take a chance to see the original Passagemaker from Beebe. The one he took around the world. The boat is in one of the marinas there, and there ain't many around
Bon Voyage

Fernando

Attachments

• JUlho_AGO2.JPG
    JUlho_AGO2.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 193
  • JUlho_AGO12.JPG
    JUlho_AGO12.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Looking good, Fernando. Post some more progress pictures when you can.

Thanks for sharing Larry. Great adventure!

Fernando your boat has made some real progress since I last saw pictures!

Great post Larry...and Fernando, if you happen to have any current photos of Beebe's passagemaker, I'm sure many Forum members would be facinated to see them !

Great post Larry...and Fernando, if you happen to have any current photos of Beebe's passagemaker, I'm sure many Forum members would be facinated to see them !

I'll started looking and if I find her I'll take some pictures. It may take me a while though with 4+ boatyards and over 1000 boats on the hard but it gives me a good excuse to get away and walk the dog.

Paravane question

Are the paravane's original to the boat or did you install them? Who is the manufacture?

Are the paravane's original to the boat or did you install them? Who is the manufacture?

The paravanes were added by a PO. A Krogen owner designed them and I think there are on 6 Krogen 42's. The desgner went with the A-frame which did not require any hull reinforcement. The fish are made by Stano Enterprises, Westport, WA. They were still in business 4 years ago when we passed by.

Attachments

• Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 229
For the guys willing to see it, which boat is this?

Attachments

• Passagemaker.JPG
    Passagemaker.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Ok Guys. I gave enough time to answer.hehehehehehehe
Remember reading or hearing something about this vessel?

Attachments

• Passagemaker2.JPG
    Passagemaker2.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 173
Larry

That's Beebe's boat somewhere in Trinidad...Around San Fernando, I heard

Back
Top Bottom