Parallel Parking - How Much Scope?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffnick

Guru
Vessel Name
Big Duck
Vessel Make
'72 Land-N-Sea
When your anchor is set at 3 feet ABOVE the deck, what's the formula for the correct amount of scope?
DSCN3225%25255B1%25255D.JPG

IMAG0404.jpg

I believe you are using a PVC section on a stanchion to carry your anchor, I have the same thing, down to the hose sections on the handrail, on my 17' Whaler. it works very well with the Danforth I use. Steve W

When your anchor is set at 3 feet ABOVE the deck, what's the formula for the correct amount of scope?
The "formula" is the same - you simply add the 3 feet to the depth.

DSCN3225%25255B1%25255D.JPG

IMAG0404.jpg

The formula is the same as if the anchor was set three feet below the deck. Of course, for most of us, that wouldn't reach the waterline.

In this particular situation, all the standard rules are out the window anyway. For instance, you probably didn't "drop" the anchor, you threw it or more likely carried it ashore. Same thing with retrieving it, you can't motor over it, you'll have to go ashore and retrieve it.

At least you don't have to worry about swinging into another boat! ;)

Well, ya takes the three from the naught and that gives ya naught an' we don't use no scope, open iron sights have always done good.

img_97351_0_2404a85796d5fb9696b7dc77e749b6cf.jpg

Last edited:
Well, ya takes the three from the naught and that gives ya naught an' we don't use no scope, open iron sights have always done good.

img_97352_0_2404a85796d5fb9696b7dc77e749b6cf.jpg

When I took my wife shooting for her first time (.22 single shot rifle, iron sights), she looked at me like I was some kind of idiot when I suggested that she draw a bead on the target. "How do you draw a bead?"

Ain't life grand?

I am surprised no one caught this yet but we really don't have enough information to correctly answer this question. We need to know whether you are talking about the bow anchor or a stern anchor, or both! :)

Woodsong said:
I am surprised no one caught this yet but we really don't have enough information to correctly answer this question. We need to know whether you are talking about the bow anchor or a stern anchor, or both! :)
I'm sticking with my answer. Add depth.

Jeff,is that Hartwell?The area looks very familiar to me.

Please, please, no one ask "what anchor works best three feet above the deck"
Steve W.

anchors don't set on dry land like they do under water. Do I understand this correctly? It won't set right unless it is in the water.

anchors don't set on dry land like they do under water. Do I understand this correctly? It won't set right unless it is in the water.

They set great when you wrap the rode around a tree stump and run the anchor back to the boat. :socool:

Greetings,
Holy Crapola Mr. jeffnick! Ramp is not for faint of heart for sure. Now do you have to set an anchor at the top of the ramp and winch your vehicle and vessel uphill? Danforth or Fortress????? Oh no, here we go....

It's still a matter of tide (or lack of same) and throat angle relative to the scope. Or is it a matter of how high can one throw a 44# Bruce?
Seriously it looks like a job for a Fortress set on wide throat angle.
And when you throw it let's hope it dosn't have boomerang genes.

sounds like a job for a shore spike anchor...using a regular anchor works...but there are different dynamics involved...

Shore Spike Anchor by Slide Anchor

maybe not this one...but there are some great ones out there...

Hmmmmm.... I'm having a tough time seeing the appeal of this type of boating to begin with. But I guess my response to the OP's original question about the formula for figuring out the proper scope would be, "Does it really matter? Just drive a 4wd down next to the boat there and tie a line to it."

The question about scope was of a humorous nature.

Yes, that is a PVC anchor holder...held in place by by Clamptite clamps...smooth, low profile stainless wire clamps.
ClampTite - The Official Website

The appeal of this type of boating is a convenient step off the deck so my handicapped wife can socialize with other boaters on the beach.

The ramp, other than being long is very easy. 700 lbs of tongue weight and limited slip make for no traction problems.

Yea at our local hang out either anchor works great in the water when everyone sterns in , The anchor on the shore is the one i have issues with , 25 Danforth with 10 feet of chain for the stern and it pulls loose ? Not being the only one having issues it has to be anchors are not designed to be used on dry land.

The water came up over a foot overnight. My wife's beach step was underwater when we got up. What's the worst that can happen if you drift? You'll just be a little farther from the gaggle of friends the next morning. 'Step off' fresh water boating is very laid back.

"Hmmmmm.... I'm having a tough time seeing the appeal of this type of boating to begin with. "

He's enjoying the boating available to him. There's no need to insult his style of boating.

I got the impression Jeff's original post was somewhat in jest. I was replying in kind. I think we'd all agree that being out on any water in any boat is always better than not being out on the water at all, right?

Last edited:
In Crete at rented docks you drop anchor out about 150 ft and back into your stern dock area, Once there you tie off and tighten up your bow with the windless thats the standard for docking. When we stern up to the islands here its the same deal in NC we only have 3 to 4 ft tides so they are not alot of worry.

I got the impression Jeff's original post was somewhat in jest. I was replying in kind. I think we'd all agree that being out on any water in any boat is always better than not being out on the water at all, right?

:iagree: Ummmmm,yep.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom