Ford Lehman paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCDSAIL

I would like to touch up the Ford Lehman diesel. Any suggestions for a spray or brush on paint? I have some rust spots and would like to take cares of these areas.

Thanks,
JCDSAIL

If you live on a coastal town some of the Sherwin Williams guys can mix it up, lot cheeper than the dealer spray can.

Swampu,
I live in Connecticut and have many Sherwin stores.
Thanks for the reply. That would be a brush application and would make life easier.

JCDSAIL (former ragbagger):)

I would like to touch up the Ford Lehman diesel. Any suggestions for a spray or brush on paint? I have some rust spots and would like to take cares of these areas.

Thanks,
JCDSAIL
Slapping a coat of paint over rusted metal isn't going to be a satisfactory solution. You will have to get rid of the rust, clean the surface, prime, then paint.

There are some paints that can be used on rusted metal once the loose rust (and oil and grease) is removed.

Also, heat is a consideration. You need a paint that can handle hot surfaces.

there bare perfectly good anti-rust paints out there that can be mixed up by a local supplier as long as you knock the loose stuff off.

if there's a hot spot on the engine that regular paint can't handle (which there shouldn't be except beteween the end of the exhaust manifold and the water injection0 you can touch tht up later with higher heat tolerant paint but it's usually covered with an insulating blanket anyway.

good luck!

I just purchased a small can of Rust-Oleum brand paint (gloss sunrise red) which I plan to use on my Lehman. It's a very close match.

I just purchased a small can of Rust-Oleum brand paint (gloss sunrise red) which I plan to use on my Lehman. It's a very close match.

X 2. Its close enough I doubt anyone who has visited my engine room has ever noticed. And its designed to be painted over rusty surfaces.

Our two FL120s were originally painted American Marine's metallic olive green color since AM installed the Lehman marinization kit themselves in Singapore. But a previous owner painted them Alpine (Detroit) Green so unlike the original olive paint engine paint in this color is avaialble everywhere.

And Ron's right as I've learned from experience. You have to do a good job of removing rust and oil from the metal if you want the new paint to adhere for any length of time.

Rustoleum Regal Red is almost a perfect match. Treat all rust spots with PUR 15 first and apply paint before it dries completely. Chuck

let me know if you need the color code and I can get it tomorrow. I'm going to get some oil primer and oil white for the bilge.

I've given this tip before, but use tin foil around your hoses and wiring harness instead of tape, it works really well and is fast. Just be careful around the alternator etc. as it will conduct electricity.

I've had really good luck with plain 'ol rustoleum. I just touched up my motors here is how one of them turned out.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,988
I really like that blue and that is one clean engine.

Dougcole said:
I've had really good luck with plain 'ol rustoleum. I just touched up my motors here is how one of them turned out.

Doug what (name) blue is that? Thanks

Red engine enamel in spray-cans from auto shops matched the red on my previous Perkins and current Lehmans. It is fine with heat,does not need undercoat. I can`t get it in a can to brush on.
A friend with a silver painted Perkins was horrified at using red " red means stop". Has not stopped mine (so far).
Rubber doesn`t like paint, and painting rubber looks like a fast tart up.

Red does it for me.

Attachments

• 210.jpg
    210.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 303
White works for me.

img_112103_0_8a14ed7aa2bc8cbdef06a917f79436f5.jpg

Rustoleum Regal Red works for me with the Lehmans.

Back
Top Bottom