View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
gwkiwi
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
By law it is illegal to charge the road tax on red dye diesel where red dye is manufactured only for off road vehicles such as tractors, boats, graders, dozers etc.

In my Colorado Sheriff days the fine for using red dye in cars and trucks was $10,000 per occurence. The only time that it was evident was generally during vehicle accidents when fuel was spilled and then it was easy to see that someone was filling from the cheaper farm tank.

Although I knew a deputy who used to go to the weekly stock sales sneaking around and putting a wooden dowell into fuel tank via the cap to see if the farmers were using red dye diesel in their pick-ups. Luckily that deputy didnt last long especially in a rural community.

More the concern right now is the knuckleheads in Sacramento California looking at charging an additional $2.22 for diesel by year 2020 under the California Only Diesel Program. I am not sure if it will spread to red dye or not but stay up to date on that issue.

Here is a link to one of the stories:
California trucking group slams CARB fuel policies | eTrucker: Trucking News, Truck Driver Jobs, Diesel Fuel Prices, Loads, Routing,& More!
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote