Weapons Preservation on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
** Not a Gun Advocacy or Control thread!!**

For those of us who excercise our 2nd Amendment rights, have you noticed any particular difficulty in corrosion prevention while your guns are aboard? I am looking for any issues or recommendations you all might have conquered.

I use the remington gun sock at home in the safe, thinking it might do well on the boat?

Last edited:
We are armed when cruising on over-night trips (better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it). But since we don't live-aboard we transport our weapons between the house and the boat. So the corrosion issue is mute. However, a few manufactures, like Mossberg, offer a 12-ga shotgun that is "marinized". It is also sold with a water-tight case for protection.

I would think if the gun is properly oiled and cleaned regularly, corrosion would be a non-issue. No?

I've never had a problem, but the inside of my boat is always air conditioned unless we're under way. Of course, most of my guns are stainless steel or marinized (I have that shotgun mentioned). Standard care should be OK, but if you want some extra long term protection there are some oils with a wax content that leave a visible film on the metal.

On longer trips we carry a short barreled, long magazine 12-gauge pump shotgun, the same one we carry on floatplane trips. As the metal is blued, not stainless, on the boat we keep it well oiled on the outside and carry it in a visquine bag inside a padded fabric case. We've never had a problem with any sort of rust but then it's not living in a marine environment on a year-round basis.

Attachments

• S69RXL.jpg
    S69RXL.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Glock 9mm for a handgun but want to also add a shotgun.

I keep mine, a revolver, wrapped up in a silicone cloth. That seems to work fine but we don't have much of an issue of things inside the boat rusting anyway.
Steve W.

Marin you make me jealous. That's a beautiful old gun and a pretty sharp looking Range Rover its resting on!

As for the guns, I stick with what I was taught to use from a very early age 3-n-1 oil. Keep in cloth scabbard or holsters that are a little damp with it from years of use

http://www.3inone.com/uses-tips/

Last edited:
There is the U.S. Survival AR-7 from Henry Arms, here: Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right
"The Henry U.S. Survival AR-7 comes standard with a sturdy steel barrel covered in tough ABS plastic and then coated with Teflon for complete protection against corrosion." It's a 22, but oh so cool when stored in the stock.
I'd like to get one, but not for personal protection. I have other weapons for that.

Thanks guys. Marin, love the rover.

I am talking about when living aboard. My CCW us a 1911 SA Loaded. My boat gun is a Mossberg 12.

Also AR 15.

I use G96 CLP.

The shotgun is a Savage Model 69RXL I bought back in the early 80s when my wife and I started flying up the coast into SE Alaska and BC. It's just barely legal in Canada.

The Land Rover (not a Range Rover although we have a Range Rover, too) is a Model 88 Series III that I bought new in 1973 (same year our GB was made) and still have. As I think I've conveyed here before, the Land Rover, or rather the captstan winch on the front of it, is why I'm living in the PNW today.

First shot is on a trip to the Yukon I took with a college friend in 1977. Shipped the LR from Honolulu to Oakland, met my friend who'd come out from Virigina Tech in his Jeep with his canoe, we drove to Seattle, left the Jeep, and carried on to the Yukon in the LR. Second shot is the LR today.

Attachments

• Yukon 77.jpg
    Yukon 77.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Land Rover.jpg
    Land Rover.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 192
This is the Land Rover carried on Calypso for the Costeau Expeditions.

img_96328_0_42e1982b82403a82196e033a20da9abb.jpg

Glock 26 9mm and Remington 870 Express shotgun. Nothing extra ordinary, basic cleaning for the Glock, aerosol Rem Oil and a soft case for the shotgun. It's been my primary duck gun for over 25 years so it's used to being wet.

A firearm is much like most any other metal tool but they have enclosed spaces/mechanisms and tube(s). Thus, protecting their interiors with grease and light lubricants depending on parts in question is important and shouldn't be overlooked.

What is the procedure for carrying while aboard?I know a CWP is required but aboard,is that like having a gun at home?

Nope. You are on a piece of transportation, not a home, even if you live aboard. Long guns present no problem but to be safe, you should get a concealed carry permit if you are carrying pistols.

Ben2Go,
Depends on your state. In Florida, You DO NOT need a CCW to carry on your boat. Boat or RV or Vehicle is considered "Private Conveyance" and as such you are not required to have a CCW in any. A boat can be considered a residence ie home and you may carry you weapon period.

In 2009 we were boarded by the Coast Guard in Pensacola Bay. Before boarding they asked if any firearms were onboard, we informed them 2 handguns. They said to unload them and put them on the bed. When they boarded one of them went down to the guns and hid the ammunition. They proceeded with their checks and left, on leaving they said where they had put the ammo, under the bed pillow. They did check the boat documentation but didn't ask for anything regarding the guns. They were very courteous and proffessional.
They were Fed. Gov't maybe the regulations change for boats from state to state as the gun laws do on land.
Steve W

Legal in Ca to have guns on boat

Same as your home in Ca. Smearing a thin layer of gun grease on the surface of a blued gun usually is sufficient. Wiping the bore with oil or a light coating of grease while keeping the action open so the bore can breath. I carry a 870 Rem Marine Mariner and have for over 12 years in the boat no problem.

I bought an old Remington 870 and powdercoated the barrel and receiver. Then replaced all the other parts with plastic, folding stock, pistol grip, flashlight. I store it in a PVC pipe with screw a screw on lid with a fishing pole. Its part of my "overboard" bag

Attachments

• IMAG0135.jpg
    IMAG0135.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 233
My understanding from my RV days is that most states consider an RV a vehicle, unless the jacks are down, anad then it's a "home" for search purposes. And while logic is never part of any laws, it would seem logical that the boat would be a vehicle, but at anchor or dockside it might be considered a "home" for search purposes. And as we know, different laws apply for vehicles and houses.

Cannon.jpg

I took mine off the boat. But some lovin and ospho does the trick for preservation.

no concealed permit is required in any state that I know of....as long as you are transiting and the weapon and ammunition are stored accordingly.

psneeld said:
no concealed permit is required in any state that I know of....as long as you are transiting and the weapon and ammunition are stored accordingly.

No permit required in California.

I bought an old Remington 870 and powdercoated the barrel and receiver. Then replaced all the other parts with plastic, folding stock, pistol grip, flashlight. I store it in a PVC pipe with screw a screw on lid with a fishing pole. Its part of my "overboard" bag

Oh yea!!

What kind of loads do you keep/carry on board for the shotgun?
Where do you keep the ammo and how much? KJ

For ordinary persons traveling in California, firearms must be unloaded. Concealable firearms must be in a locked container. Out-of-state concealed-carry permits are not valid.

Here's a good site with laws by state: Handgunlaw.us

Like I said earlier, even if you live aboard you do not have the rights someone does in a land based home. You are a conveyence, a mode of travel. That's why the USCG needs no warrant to board and search you. For carrying on a boat, you need to think of what the state you are in has for carry laws in a car. Some allow you to carry loaded in plain sight, some must be unloaded and in the "trunk"...they all vary. All that being said, what's the practical enforcement schtick? When boarded by the Parish Sheriff near Lake Charles, LA, they didn't even ask. For that area, probably a silly question!

Here's a good site with laws by state: Handgunlaw.us

Like I said earlier, even if you live aboard you do not have the rights someone does in a land based home. You are a conveyence, a mode of travel. That's why the USCG needs no warrant to board and search you. For carrying on a boat, you need to think of what the state you are in has for carry laws in a car. Some allow you to carry loaded in plain sight, some must be unloaded and in the "trunk"...they all vary. All that being said, what's the practical enforcement schtick? When boarded by the Parish Sheriff near Lake Charles, LA, they didn't even ask. For that area, probably a silly question!

True only for safety check (and they can ask about wesapons for officer safety) and customs matters...any search is limited to man sized compartments and they can't expect answers to questions beyond the scope of a safety inspection or voyage log.

If your vessel is tied up or at anchor...I believe there are many cases I have read through the years that upheld 4th amndment rights...searches in general have to be "reasonable and have probable cause".

Here's one I just read that might suprise some people...drinking boater leaves bar with open container..someone reports...local cop and coastie go and board, guy is DUI but case is thrown out because lack of "probable cause"...

At the suppression hearing, the evidence established that Coast Guard Officer Jeffrey Jobczyski and Erie County Detective Daniel Powell, while on patrol at Presque Isle Bay on Lake Erie, were summoned to a bar by one of its employees.   The employee told the officers that some men had just left the bar with an open beer container and boarded a boat known as the Janice Ann. The officers pursued the vessel, stopped it and boarded.   The officers did not observe any erratic or unusual driving nor did the bar employee indicate that any of the men was under the influence.   As Appellee came down the ladder from the “flying bridge”,1 Detective Powell detected an odor of alcohol.   Appellee failed the field sobriety tests and was arrested and charged with boating under the influence.2  Appellee was returned to shore by a waterways conservation officer.   Based on this evidence, the suppression court found that the sole purpose in making the stop was to investigate suspected criminal activity.   Since the officers did not have probable cause or even reasonable suspicion that criminal activity was taking place, the court found the stop and boarding of the boat was unlawful under both the United States and Pennsylvania Constitutions.   We agree with the trial court that the stop and boarding of the Janice Ann violated Article 1 § 8 of the Pennsylvania Constitution.   We need not therefore discuss whether the stop violated the United States Constitution.3

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom