Old 07-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
psneeld
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Must be a regional thing. I understand SD up in Alaska but the Carolina/Gulf Coastal areas and inland waterways? I see it quite often in my sliver of America.

FWIW If swimming in the marina is like "playing in the street" you must have some awful busy marinas in your area. The larger ones perhaps? Many of ours are smaller, 50 slips or less and fairly quiet to boot.

People swimming off private docks at their house is extremely common too.

Rather than painting all swimmers as irresponsible idiots incapable of using common sense, would it be more prudent to know the danger may exist and inspect for problems before you accidentally fall off the dock and get electrocuted? It never was exactly at the top of my list of possible dangers from slipping and falling in the water before I watched this video.
Here in Jersey they swim in all the lagoons too which are way busier than the local marinas...they also swim in and across the intracoastal waterway. Heck they even jump off the bridges into the channels.

I'm not saying any of it's smart recreation...but many people do it so others think it's acceptble.

Then you have the people who tube, ski, kneeboard the busy ntracoastal and even have people in tubes when the pull up to the very busy fuel docks.

Around here....it's vacation mentality..."I'm on vacation having fun...therefore everyone else has to give me room to be happy"
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote