View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #25
eagle419

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Joihn,
Have to agree , re engine , would not do much until after a couple of oil analysis have been done. Should not imagine the Gardner has that many hours on her and most likely Gary has had something to do with it over time.
If you want Gary's phone number PM me. I am in Mooloolaba but come down to Bris Vagas every week so would love to call in if you are still around.
With the sail rig if set up correctly they can sail reasonably well as long as you have a fair bit of breeze.
A mate of mine owns Waverley (also in the Morteon Bay Cruiser Book) she sails pretty well but is carvel planked as opposed to our sharpies. Just makes it a little more slippery but harder to keep upright, he runs with an active set of paravanes.
Re the electrolysis , originally I had about 8 zincs on Tidahapah but after about 8 years I had an electyrician check the currents around the boat with the resultant removal of 1/2 my zincs. Underwater she is much better for it.
How is the splineing with the Iron Bark holding up as usually it is difficult to keep the splines intact with hard wood hulls. Mine is Spotted Gum and traditionally puttied and filled except for the 2 water line seams that are sika flexed.

Cheers
Benn
Cheers
Benn
The splines do need work Benn, that lovely Qld sun works its magic - and yes, she could be over zinced. I'll do the checks in Sydney when she's settled in her home berth.
I plan to lift the boat for a couple of days in the week beginning 6th, so hopefully we can catch up. I'll keep you posted.
cheers, John
P.S. yep, Waverley is a thing of beauty. When I asked it wasn't for sale.....
eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote