Another Yotti crosses over to the dark side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eagle419

I’ve just bought a timber (I know..I know) trawler to see me into old(er) age cruising on Australia’s East Coast.
She’s a ‘sharpie’ design, 50’x16’x 6’ built in iron bark and crows ash with a Gardner 6LXB engine.
There’s much work that needs to be done on me as well as the boat, so I’m looking forward to sharing and learning with you on this forum as I continue what I hope will be my last big spend.
Cheers, John

Welcome John. Get some pics up asap eh? Sounds an interesting vessel, and an interesting time ahead for you. Benn up in Mooloolaba has a self-built 50' timber boat, and a Gardner diesel. Could have some helpful tips for you if needed. You there Benn...?

eagle, I'm reduing a double planked cypress hull with twin detroits. I've got a thread here somewhere, 65' lugger will find it. Good luck and I to would like to see some pictures.

Thanks for the welcome Peter; I’ll get a couple of images up ASAP.
Swampu, when I said ‘much work’, I meant from my POV. My jobs list pales into insignificance compared to the challenges on your beautiful vessel. I’ve only got some hull work – corroded fastenings and re-splining, and the usual obscure fresh water leaks, as well as some serious galvanic/electrolysis issues to chase down. The Gardner oil analysis has also posed a couple of questions. Then there’s all the stuff that the surveyor and engineer will have missed. I won’t be doing any important work myself - I’ll be the apprentice

Hi John. Welcome aboard, congratulations on what sounds like an interesting actual (ex)trawler. It might be timber but sounds like the right kind, and the Gardner GLXB will probably outlive us all. I`m looking forward to some pics. We are located in Sydney too. BruceK

introducing Flemingo

Here are some stills, more to follow

Attachments

• flemingo forum 1.jpg
    flemingo forum 1.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 342
  • flemingo forum 4.jpg
    flemingo forum 4.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC02610 (640x361).jpg
    DSC02610 (640x361).jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 230
  • FlemingoForum 2.jpg
    FlemingoForum 2.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 222
I must say that is one beautiful bottom.

Hey John, Very Nice.

Also welcome to this forum... tons of experience here to tap into..

Elwin

Thanks for the welcome everybody.
Flemingo's hull and main engine appear basically sound, so hopefully we can leave many of the fixes for later and won't need too much time in Queensland getting her ready for sea. The coastal hop to her home berth in Sydney is about 400nm, which will give me some time to look and learn and sort out a few things before we begin the major work.
It's going to be an interesting experience absorbing a whole new approach after seventeen years of sailing with the previous boat.

Handsome boat, above and below the water! Where will you keep her in Sydney?
Have a safe trip down. BruceK

I like the flip up swim platform. I would like to do something like that on my boat one day. Good luck with the trip.

John,
Welcome aboard.
Flemingo is one very nice Fred Fleming boat and very well equiped.
Saw her listed with Garth Fielding, so she is going to Sydney to live, hope you come north now and again.

My own boat is designed by Fred but built by Bert Ellis and myself in Norman Creek Brisbane in 1995.

Suprised if there are many issues with Flemingo as she was one well looked after vessel.
If you require any Gardner info or advice in Brisbane you can not go past Gary Bryant, he is the Gardner Guru in SE Qld., if not Australia.
Cheers
Benn

Great to have another older unique boat on the forum. It looks like somebody invested a lot of time and effort into her. It s even better that somebody like you bought her and willing to invest time and funds to improve and maintain her. :thumb: Not a full time job but certainly a part time job. ;)

It will be interesting to hear how she handles/sails as I have looked at adding sails to the Eagle. (Long range plan) I noticed she has both fish and pneumatic stabilizers, to counter the sails? I understand trawler with sails are some what common in your area. In the PNW there are a couple but the sails are very seldom used.

Great to have another older unique boat on the forum. It looks like somebody invested a lot of time and effort into her. It s even better that somebody like you bought her and willing to invest time and funds to improve and maintain her. :thumb: Not a full time job but certainly a part time job. ;)

It will be interesting to hear how she handles/sails as I have looked at adding sails to the Eagle. (Long range plan) I noticed she has both fish and pneumatic stabilizers, to counter the sails? I understand trawler with sails are some what common in your area. In the PNW there are a couple but the sails are very seldom used.

Hello Phil, the sails are for steadying and emergency get-home to a refuge lying down wind - she'll sail like a brick.
The booms are for flopper stoppers - stability at anchor.
I've always enjoyed one-off boats and can only afford 'old'. I also tend to buy and hold for some time - only five over 40 years of playing with boats. I've owned my (soon to be) previous huon pine masthead sloop for seventeen years, so I hope I'm not under too many illusions about the time and cost equation of 'classic' timber.

John,
Welcome aboard.
Flemingo is one very nice Fred Fleming boat and very well equiped.
Saw her listed with Garth Fielding, so she is going to Sydney to live, hope you come north now and again.

My own boat is designed by Fred but built by Bert Ellis and myself in Norman Creek Brisbane in 1995.

Suprised if there are many issues with Flemingo as she was one well looked after vessel.
If you require any Gardner info or advice in Brisbane you can not go past Gary Bryant, he is the Gardner Guru in SE Qld., if not Australia.
Cheers
Benn

Hello Benn, thanks for the welcome. She is indeed very well equipped, but has been resting for four years, so there are a few areas that need to be worked on. Electrolysis is an issue, together with the usual timber maintenance stuff. I’ve been living with stripped planked huon pine, so I don’t really how much seam weeping I should tolerate with splined iron bark and crows ash etc etc.
It’s good to be out of my comfort zone again.
I'm also getting lots of opinions about the 6lxb, so some actual expertise from Gary will certainly help. The oil analysis shows high lead, copper, chrome & sodium and again, I’m enjoying a rich variety of opinion, from bearings, to coolant leaks to the classic ‘it's fine don’t touch it until you have to’ but I think we need a series of samples before a useful conclusion can be reached. There are two hydraulic pumps and three alternators hanging off and she won’t get to full revs. Two strong opinions on prop pitch as well.
Speaking of four years, both the engine and hull surveyors have strongly recommended dumping the 2000 litres of old fuel in favour of fresh before heading to south. The filter bowls are clear and actual tank condition is unknown. What do you reckon?

Handsome boat, above and below the water! Where will you keep her in Sydney?
Have a safe trip down. BruceK

Thanks BruceK, at the moment it looks like the harbour side of the Spit, the rig won't get under the bridge.

Wow! Motorboat with a ketch rig? I don't sonsider it a motorsailer unless it can reasonably sail without engines in most circumstances. My sloop-rigged. motor-boat Coot has sails which only assist. Your hull appears "motorboat" like mine.

ry%3D400

She still won't sail, even with a ketch rig, Mark. The sails are, like yours, for steadying, saving a litre or two downwind and for get-home.
I see we both have an eye for a full and shapely bottom

As a former sailor, I still like the pleasure of pulling "strings" when wanted.

img_96232_0_dfec8dc411ea8eb05a8407b2a4960db7.jpg

img_96232_1_5f5bd0a2540d2aa7f5dab5924b13a378.jpg

With 10 knots of wind, I have steerage-way within a 200-degree radius. If I wasn't usually going directly into or opposite the winds here, I'd use the sails more often. Their use is primarily for steadying, but can easily add a half knot or more to the boat's speed in many conditions: a significant advantage in a long-range cruise.

Last edited:
Joihn,
Have to agree , re engine , would not do much until after a couple of oil analysis have been done. Should not imagine the Gardner has that many hours on her and most likely Gary has had something to do with it over time.
If you want Gary's phone number PM me. I am in Mooloolaba but come down to Bris Vagas every week so would love to call in if you are still around.
With the sail rig if set up correctly they can sail reasonably well as long as you have a fair bit of breeze.
A mate of mine owns Waverley (also in the Morteon Bay Cruiser Book) she sails pretty well but is carvel planked as opposed to our sharpies. Just makes it a little more slippery but harder to keep upright, he runs with an active set of paravanes.
Re the electrolysis , originally I had about 8 zincs on Tidahapah but after about 8 years I had an electyrician check the currents around the boat with the resultant removal of 1/2 my zincs. Underwater she is much better for it.
How is the splineing with the Iron Bark holding up as usually it is difficult to keep the splines intact with hard wood hulls. Mine is Spotted Gum and traditionally puttied and filled except for the 2 water line seams that are sika flexed.

Cheers
Benn
Cheers
Benn

Joihn,
Have to agree , re engine , would not do much until after a couple of oil analysis have been done. Should not imagine the Gardner has that many hours on her and most likely Gary has had something to do with it over time.
If you want Gary's phone number PM me. I am in Mooloolaba but come down to Bris Vagas every week so would love to call in if you are still around.
With the sail rig if set up correctly they can sail reasonably well as long as you have a fair bit of breeze.
A mate of mine owns Waverley (also in the Morteon Bay Cruiser Book) she sails pretty well but is carvel planked as opposed to our sharpies. Just makes it a little more slippery but harder to keep upright, he runs with an active set of paravanes.
Re the electrolysis , originally I had about 8 zincs on Tidahapah but after about 8 years I had an electyrician check the currents around the boat with the resultant removal of 1/2 my zincs. Underwater she is much better for it.
How is the splineing with the Iron Bark holding up as usually it is difficult to keep the splines intact with hard wood hulls. Mine is Spotted Gum and traditionally puttied and filled except for the 2 water line seams that are sika flexed.

Cheers
Benn
Cheers
Benn

The splines do need work Benn, that lovely Qld sun works its magic - and yes, she could be over zinced. I'll do the checks in Sydney when she's settled in her home berth.
I plan to lift the boat for a couple of days in the week beginning 6th, so hopefully we can catch up. I'll keep you posted.
cheers, John
P.S. yep, Waverley is a thing of beauty. When I asked it wasn't for sale.....

Darren was thinking of selling but I think the Pacific cruising plans have taken over. I have know all the owners of Waverly since she was built.
Very nice boat and one of Bert's own designs.(Bert Ellis)
I am hauling Tidahapah out hopefully at the end of the week or early next week . same time frame as yourself. I am comming out at Lawries in Mooloolaba as we have a set of double slings that make me feel a lot better when hauling a timber boat.
Cheers
Benn

Welcome John. Beautiful looking "woodie". Great to see another boat on Sydney harbour.
I am on the Cammeray side of the Spit Bridge, moored near the Cammeray marina. I will be back on the boat for about 8 days late August early September so if you are in Sydney then maybe we can catch up.

John

Welcome John. Beautiful looking "woodie". Great to see another boat on Sydney harbour.
I am on the Cammeray side of the Spit Bridge, moored near the Cammeray marina. I will be back on the boat for about 8 days late August early September so if you are in Sydney then maybe we can catch up.

John

Thanks for the welcome John, I've got major hassles with corroded tanks, so I'm looking at the options, all of which are unpleasant. Stiil going to try for late August in Sydney though, and it would be good to catch up. cheers, John

Mooloolaba as we have a set of double slings that make me feel a lot better when hauling a timber boat.
Cheers
Benn

Well Benn,
We're back in the water after an efficient and gentle haulout at Gold Coast City Marina on their 150 tonner with six slings. The bad news is very corroded tanks.
Watch this space #$$$%$&!
cheers, John

John,
Had to cancell my own haulout as got a call back to work in Port Headland.
Will now haul out approx 10 th Sept.
Corroded tanks, I assume that they are steel tanks similar to my own.
There will be various ways of doing repairs.
Is the corrision on the top of the tanks??

PM sent.
Cheers
Benn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom