Painting the bilge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeybadger

Vessel Name
HoneyBadger
Vessel Make
1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
After countless hours running new wires and other items i cleaned the bilge with dawn and a water hose. Painting it including the overhead man it seemed to big untill i had that damn paint all over me including in what little hair i have left and where i hit the buldhead door so hard is pealed the skin back. under the engine and all the bunks and floors and sides. Well is looks great today and i am walking like the hunch back all my joints hurt and the burning from where my girl friend took MEK to removed all the paint has stopped. So it's done except for some touch up and slight delay until my body stops protesting. * Used battle ship Grey* White is so hard to keep looking white thought i would try Grey see if thats easier to keep clean.

When I did mine. The first coat didn't stick to well.
To much oil, diesel and gunk.

Scrubbed it with TSP. 10 years and still looking great.

Trisodium phosphate is my friend.

SD

It is availiable in Home Depot and Lowes in it's pure form . Not in a laundry detergent.
It is in Alaska anyway.

SD

Clear epoxy will clean well, yet allow you to examine the bilge for damage after a log or grounding.

FF

Ah i feel normal well semi normal today i will take some photos and post them this afternoon.

Maybe he died of the fumes? Wanna do mine, but I need to find a rental full head respirator.

Ok Guys i started to load the photos of the bilge and , Oh well they are posted in my profile photos. Sorry as i was not able to reinvent the wheel and load them on the post!

TSP, the key ingrediant in most dish washing powders.

The EPA may mess with painters and industrial cleaning , but there not messing with moms dishwasher.

Read da box , next time your at the A&P.

FF

Attachments

• lake226-curtain.jpg
    lake226-curtain.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 304
hb, I didn't see any pictures. Did you prime the wood and did you use an oil based paint? I started painting mine but that paints expensive and it doesn't go far. I set up a photobucket account were I upload all my pictures and then I can point and click to post pictures here. Photobucket.com

Swampu i washed the entire bilge with grease lighting, then after it was dry a bucket and Dawn dish liquid a rag and a brush. Then a 3500 PSI power washer and it was clean. 90% of the area was bare wood the only painted area was under the engine. i used a oil primer and a oil base commerical enamel. ( 2 ) coats and i still need to touch up alot of areas but now i can get in and out of the bilge with out looking like i have rolled in oil, grease, diesel fuel, and dirt !

Thats exactly what I did. I used purple industrial cleaner from HD. I scrubed and pressure washed about 4 times the whole boat, than right before I paint I vacumed the area and washed it one more time. These are the results I got from my effort.
img_95954_0_73510b127a45b4936807962f73f6e1e3.jpg

img_95954_1_f12b91595f44d599fb3db486fe2c50c3.jpg

You can see in the second picture where the second coat ended. I initially started to spray it but ended up rolling it. Spraying wasn't covering good.

Swampu, where was the fire?
Thanks! I think that is the best compliment yet :)
The fire burned through the port deck, it burned my two 250 gallon fuel tanks and the cabin settled about 8" into the hull.
img_96001_0_51a95faa826f4c96bc81e2d68ad36a4c.jpg

img_96001_1_54ebc4b24f15a61a1e137da8224f6adc.jpg

You can see above the new glass, this was all gone and all the ribs and deck stringers have been sistered below.

Back
Top Bottom