The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty11

Hello everyone,
I am glad there is a californian forum because I just closed the deal on mine yesterday.
My boat is a 1982 34ft. galley up with 200 turbo Perkins.
I look forward to sharing ideas, problems and the resolutions for problems with you all.
Mark

Hi Salty,
Very nice looking boat! Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great guys here with a lot of good information. Have a great day!!

Very nice boat....WELCOME!!!

Welcome Mark!* Is this your first trawler?* I've always loved the Californians.*
smile.gif

Yes first trawler. 23 boat in all. As Jimmy Buffet would say " Made enough money to Buy Miami but pissed it all away on boats" or something like that.

Salty11 told me about this site.* It's great to see a Californian board to discuss*Marshall/Wellcraft Californians.

I am also a new 34 Californian owner.* Mine's a 1977 with Twin Perkins 85HP diesels.* I picked her up in August 2007 and have been having a ball on the California Delta ever since.*

My first and only other boat is a 1980 19' Sea Ray SRV-192 bowrider, so this is a BIG step up for me.* It's a pretty steep learning curve, but I have some good friends with trawlers and large sailboats who are extremely helpful.

I look forward to hearing about Californian issues and solutions.*
biggrin.gif

Al

-- Edited by FlyWright at 21:42, 2008-04-15

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 117
  • flywrighttransom.jpg
    flywrighttransom.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 111
Al, Welcome to the forum! It's been lonely here without any other Californians. Nice looking boat. Where are you and Mark located?

Hi Jim, Thanks for the Welcome. My boat will be docked on the Alabama gulf coast soon. It is still in the Tampa area now but I plan to bring her up next weekend.
Mark

I look forward to sharing ideas, problems and the resolutions for problems with you all.

We have a 41 Californian here that lost its T354 from turbo problems.

Rebuild was mucho bucks , even tho the crank could be cut 30 under , still cost rods , bearings ect.

Seems the return oil line from the turbo was badly installed , and plugged by past owner inattention on repair.

Over pressure blew turbo seal , engine went in under a min.

An audible alarm on the oil pressure , with INSTANT response (Shut down) might have saved a few thousand.

Thanks, Jim. Mark and I bumped into each other electronically on the Yahoo Californian board.

I live in Sacramento and boat in the California Delta. I keep my boat in a slip about an hour's drive south near Isleton.

I just shared with Mark that I was out for a leisurely cruise last Saturday near Mildred Island when I hit a submerged log with the stbd prop. A slight, but noticeable, vibration set up when power was applied in either fwd or reverse gear, so I shut the stbd engine down and, after a day in the sun, came home on the port engine. I felt sick that I might have curled a prop, bent a shaft, or who knows what else.

I had her hauled Wed and got a look at the running gear. No apparent damage to either prop, shafts true on a dial, no impact damage to hull, strut, cutlass bearing, rudders. One polished impact mark on the stbd prop, but it looked normal otherwise. Removed the props for tuning at the local prop shop. The yard put her back in the covered slip today and I'll take her for a spin tomorrow. Hopefully all is back to normal.

I think I dodged a bullet on this one. Total cost for repair and bottom pressure wash was under $500. That's the equivalent of a half tank of fuel!

Here are some shots during the haulout on Wed.

Al

Attachments

• photo0153.jpg
    photo0153.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 151
  • photo0157.jpg
    photo0157.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 123
Al,
She's a nice looking boat. Glad the prop ding didn't cost a ton. I had my props repitched a couple of years ago and spent 600.00 just on the props! I'm in Florida and have never seen another Californian.
I can't believe how much your and Marks boats look like mine in profile. Are they built by Marshall Boat company? Mine is a 1983, I think it may be one of the last 50' built by them but I can't find any information to verify that. Have you guys been able to find anything? I found a brief company history some time ago but that's about it. I hope your test spin comes out good. Have a great day!

Hi guys!

Although I'm not a Californian owner, I cruised the entire Sea of Cortez about 10 years ago aboard my brother's 42' Californian Sportfisher. It was one of the best laid out boats of that length that I have ever been on. We cruised at trawler speeds to conserve fuel and at no time did we have any trouble. I think they are great boats.

Walt

Al,
I could not find a Californian board on Yahoo. What is it called?

My bad, Jim. It's actually the BoatUS Forum. I sent you the link.

Sorry for the bad info.

Al

Al,

Where do you keep your boat up there?* I grew up on the Delta, and we bought our current boat from a guy that kept it at Willow Berm... near Isleton.* The yard in your photo looks a bit like the yard just below the I-5 overpass on the San Joaquin in Stockton... I forget the name.

One of my favorite memories as a kid was the occasional foray into the orginal (pre-fire and rebuild) Moore's Riverboat.

We have a "Neighborhood Reunion" of sorts every year in early June over at the B&W.* We'll be there this year from 6/3-6/8.* One of the highlights is dinner at Regelio's over in Isleton.* Chinese/Italian/Mexican fare... all excellent... and the best chili verde north of the Mexican border.

Unfortunately, it's too far to cruise the boat there for just 5 days.

Chuck

FlyWright wrote:

Thanks, Jim. Mark and I bumped into each other electronically on the Yahoo Californian board.

I live in Sacramento and boat in the California Delta. I keep my boat in a slip about an hour's drive south near Isleton.

I just shared with Mark that I was out for a leisurely cruise last Saturday near Mildred Island when I hit a submerged log with the stbd prop. A slight, but noticeable, vibration set up when power was applied in either fwd or reverse gear, so I shut the stbd engine down and, after a day in the sun, came home on the port engine. I felt sick that I might have curled a prop, bent a shaft, or who knows what else.

I had her hauled Wed and got a look at the running gear. No apparent damage to either prop, shafts true on a dial, no impact damage to hull, strut, cutlass bearing, rudders. One polished impact mark on the stbd prop, but it looked normal otherwise. Removed the props for tuning at the local prop shop. The yard put her back in the covered slip today and I'll take her for a spin tomorrow. Hopefully all is back to normal.

I think I dodged a bullet on this one. Total cost for repair and bottom pressure wash was under $500. That's the equivalent of a half tank of fuel!

Here are some shots during the haulout on Wed.

Al

Chuck,

I keep my boat at Moore's Riverboat Marina. The yard in my photo is the Delta Boat Works right there at Riverboat Marina. You might be thinking of Delta Marine Sales in Stockton near I-5.

I frequent your old neighborhood almost weekly, but have never tried Regelio's. Will put it on my list.

If you're anywhere near the marina during the 1st week of June when we're there, putt on up to the B&W, just past the Hwy12 bridge. The more, the merrier.

You're right... it was Delta Marine Sales.

Regelio's is awesome... worth the visit. The old chinese waiter we had couldn't figure out how to handle a party of 12... the poor guy.

superdiver,

First off, welcome to the boards.

I guess it depends on how much you spent and how much more you are willing to spend. A couple years ago, these 34 footers were fetching in the neighborhood of 50-70K, depending on condition, equipment and engines. Not sure which model you're considering.

When I bought my boat, the interior had been restored by the previous owner. Carpet, upholstery, headliner, decks repainted, ER repainted, some salon floor joists replaced. These improvements made this a turnkey boat for me and allowed me to enjoy her from day one. Now I focus my attention on improvements and repairs.

I hope you find what you're looking for in the Californian. Obviously, you have more patience than me in considering a 5-10 year project boat. But then, you will have exactly what you want when it's all said and done.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

superdiver,

I'm certainly no expert in battery power, although there are some on this forum who really know their stuff when it comes to specifics. *But from my experience with battery power and boating, I'll say this.

The biggest draw I've found by far is from the refrigeration unit on my boat. I don't have A/C, and just the normal radio, GPS units, lighting and so forth. *My refrigerator is an older unit, and therefore not as efficient as today's models, but when I do an overnighter away from power I turn down the frig a LOT.

Definitely don't have the battery switch turned to "Both" when you're away from shore power. *Draining both banks and having no way to start the engines t'aint a good thing.

You can also post your questions under the specific headings, such as "Power Systems". Lots of knowledgeable people here.

Welcome aboard!

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

superdiver wrote:

I have 2 deep cell cats for batteries with a baterry switch so I can isolate or combine the batteries. Any idea how long one battery will run the basic electronics used overnight, like some interior lights toilet/shower and refrigerator?
Easy way to find out.* At the dock, turn off the AC power.* Put your selector to #2 and spend the night just as if you are on the hook.* Spend several nights. When the volt meter on #2 gets down to*just above 12v the*test is over.* That may be 6 hours or 24 hours or 36 hours.* What ever, you now know the answer.* Now switch to #1 and start the engine.* If the engine starts then the batteries are truly separated by the 1-Both-2 switch.* If not you need to investigate to see why.

The point is it is better to find out*at the dock than on the hook.

Let us know how long it takes.

I live near the San Juan Islands and am looking for a 34'LRC with twin Perkins 85's.
I've been quited 7.5 knots at 2000rpm burning aboyt 2 gph. Does this sound right?

I have the 34 LRC with 85 hp Perkins.*

I run at 2350 RPM for 8 Kts and 3.75 gph.* When running 2000 RPM, I'd guess I'm closer to 7 Kts and 2.75 gph.* 7.5 Kts on 2 gph seems like a stretch with twins...maybe 2 gph per side???*

Perhaps 6 Kts would get you 2.0 gph, but I rarely travel at that speed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom