Stinky sanitary lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delfin

Grand Vizier
I use Petrowrap to protect exterior metal hydraulic fittings, but I found a new use. My Wema black water gauge has stopped working, and in inspecting the leads to the sensor I noted that the sanitary line from the black water tank was pretty aromatic. Wrapping it in Petrowrap eliminated all odor, and I would think that given the composition of the wrap, odors could not penetrate, now or ever. Worth a try, anyway, and very easy to apply.

I have fittings that have been wrapped in Petrowrap outside for 5 years, and the wrap is as fresh now as it was when first applied.

According to Peggie Hall the same thing can be accomplished by wrapping a permeated sanitation hose with Saran Wrap. She did not describe this as being a permanent fix but she did say it would end the odor problem from the hose. And she said that Saran Wrap is the only household-type cling wrap that will work effectively.

Probably not as long- lived as Petrowrap.

Last edited:
I had a friend who bragged about repairing pinhole leaks in the copper water lines in his house with garden hose and hose clamps. :rolleyes:

A better repair is to replace the permeated hoses with new hose intended for marine sanitation. Some folks recommend rigid PVC and I suppose that would be good for long, straight runs. I don't have any long, straight runs in my boat so it's hose for me.

Problem is that most marine sanitation hoses will permeate over time. When we redid our aft plumbing run a number of years ago we used Sealand Odor Free which at the time was rated as the best marine sanitation hose on the market. It permeated within a couple of years.

We just finished replacing this run the other weekend but while we are able to use PVC for the two straight stretches we still have to use hose for the curving connection between them. This time we used Trident 101, which, at $10 a foot, is said to be by people like Peggie Hall to be permeation-free. We'll see but it is certainly much heavier and thick-walled than the Odor Free.

I to use petro wrap 9 years and the other day when I unwrapped a hydraulic fitting it looked as new
I will be curious to see how long the petro wrap works on the sanitary hose.
Is grease susceptible to permeation by odor?
I guess we shall see.

sd

Even Trident makes no claim that their hose is permeation-free, but rather "resistant to", and then only if no liquids remain in the hose. We'll see in a year or two, but the Petrowrap is impervious to oxygen, which is half the weight of hydrogen sulfide, so I expect it will never pass gas, so to speak.

Never pass gas.
Got a chuckle out of that one.

SD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom