View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per View Post
Rather backwards way of saying, "I would rather use a lessor quality product because if it fails I can smell when it happens".
Simply put, my point is, if standard coolant meets the manufacturer's requirements and does the job, there can be no practical imrovement. A 340 degree boiling point is irrelevant, because the engine will not reach that temperature and continue to run. The lack of water is irrelevant because the engine has been designed to run on a 50/50 mixture of coolanrt and water.

There will always be companies trying to sell people "better" or "improved" products at a higher cost, but unless there's a demonstrated improvement in longevity, reliability, efficiency, etc., there is no advantage to using them. It's just a way to get money from your pocket to theirs. Think of the magnets designed to align the fuel molecules, the carb adapters that supposedly mix the air and fuel better, the $300 air cleaners that are supposed to charge the air, nitrogen filled tires at $5 a pop, etc.

Now if you want to argue that it's beneficial to mix standard coolant with distilled water as opposed to tap water at a cost of $.89 per gallon, I will agree with you. I use three gallons when I replace my coolant.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote