Does your boat punch or slice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Does your boat punch through waves or slice through them? The Coot punches like a commercial tugboat, throwing up lots of spray on occasion.

img_95673_0_9a9b64e77ecded701a177f2488e5c32f.jpg

img_95673_1_be3d2ea386eb8cf879616647c6202bbb.jpg

img_95673_2_e826dbb0c4388dd72918b9b61b5fca8f.jpg

I think it slices but there is so little flare in the bow that waves that quarter into the bow get thrown almost straight up at which point the wnd catches them and blows them onto the boat. Hence the GB's reputation as a "wet boat."

FlyWright's boat slices.

img_95685_0_fb4b6bf61b9dcc94662dc41fbfb98c3b.jpg

But does punching create a wetter boat than one that slices? Have memories of getting face-fulls of water in the cockpit of my Dad's 28.5-foot sloop "slicing" through the choppy SF estuarian waters. Or is it mostly a matter of flare?

Last edited:
My boat is so slow who knows

My boat is so slow it doesn't leave a wake. So is that parting the water or just oozing through.

My boat is so slow it doesn't leave a wake. So is that parting the water or just oozing through.

I don't believe you. Show us your wake. Mine:

img_95690_0_9dbd52685a55d76a9f0497c00333f4bc.jpg

Last edited:
My boat sort of slices, punches and sometimes splashes through waves. So I guess you'd call that splicing and splunching. But unlike Mark Pierce, I don't have a tame chopper pilot to hover round all the time taking neat pictures from every angle, so I have no shots of my boat from off the boat on the move. I tried once, speeding alongside in my rubber ducky while the wife steered the boat, but that was scary. Not sure who was most scared, me or her...gave up...

Last edited:
My Nova slices through and has enough flair to keep the boat dry. But it does roll a lot in a beam sea.

The only boat on this forum that I can think of off the bat that slices is a Mainship 34. Even my Willard makes enough bow wave to take it out of the slicing category. Old Navy destroyers are slicers.
Marin w "so little flare" that means your chine is very similar to your sheer or gunn'l. A wide chine almost insures a very full bow and a full bow does not make a slicer. The full bow adds more than a great deal to stability and in your case helps carry all that chain up on the bow. Perhaps your GB is closer to perfect than you thought.
For the rest of us unless unless you were extremely light fwd you would not want a slicer. Most likely it would be also a "diver".

Last edited:
The only boat on this forum that I can think of off the bat that slices is a Mainship 34.
My boat has such a fine entry that when the Jack-a$$ in the 50' Searay comes by dragging those lovely 5-6' swells:speed boat: I throttle back to an idle and point the bow into them hoping that it doesn't just punch through and sweep the foredeck. My wife being used to our Shamrocks, bow riders, ski boats always braces for impact and is so relieved when all it does is swoosh and you see the water break away from just below the toecap and you know that you've just stuffed the bow 4-5' into a wave! Sometimes I wish it had a little more area up front to provide more lift or another 2' of bow freeboard! I do admit that I truly lust for the shape of those 40' Nordhavns.:flowers:

Eric--- Don't know how you define a "full bow" but it doesn't seem to me that a GB has a full bow at all. These are the only two shots I have on this iPad that give any sort of idea of the bow, but it certainly doesn't look full to me. Also, as you are aware, the chine on a GB doesn't start until partway back along the hull. The forward part of the hull is more like a displacement boat with a very deep and narrow forefoot.

image-4142562324.jpg

image-523843852.jpg

The Local boats as mine is have the Carolina Flare that kicks down the wave as it jabs into it, Makes the ride pretty dry as the toe/rub rail is 1 1/2 inches and straight out from the deck keeping the spray out away from the boat. Punch or slice, i have no idea steep deep entry and a 0 deg flat stern ?

Everything I've seen so far is a puncher. Any boat that makes a big bow wave is a puncher.
Twiiested71,
What kind of boat do you have? It looks like it has fairly narrow chines but I'll bet the cross sectional shape is much more convex and not the least concave. That's the case w the BL Explorer but ther'e light and full in the bow despite their fairly narrow chine. Chine to keel lines are very convex. When you have a wide fairly flat and full bottom aft w little deadrise your Marine Architect will almost always make the bow quite full to balance the stern. And that is the case w your GB Marin. When your big full stern is lifted up by a stern sea your bow better be full enough to prevent the boat from becoming a submarine. The Mainship 34 is very narrow fwd w fairly concave cross sectional lines and to offset the imbalance fore and aft he gave the bow considerable flare and lots of freeboard ... to limit it's submarine activities. Another slicer I just thought of .... Keith's Krogen 42. There with a beautiful and fully proper full displacement stern of quite low volume his boat (and Larry Ms) have a balanced boat. Low volume bow and stern. Boats of this type are very full amidships to carry the load. The DeFever 48 & 49 have the more traditional fuller stern and aren't so balanced. So to have a "slicer" as I think Mark meant it you need an imbalanced boat or one that's of low volume fore and aft like the Krogen or a sailboat.

Everything I've seen so far is a puncher. Any boat that makes a big bow wave is a puncher.

Eric--- Here's a shot of our boat going 8.5 knots. Do you consider this a big bow wave or not? Just curious. I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

image-705126441.jpg

I think, if I will change my grip on the wheel, I can get rid of that hook.

img_99631_0_a91d15f77d28ae73ca78ad00679aec71.jpg

Eric's opinion please:

My wife is driving at around 6.5 knots in these pics, which is a knot slower than I normally run.

This day, the water was very flat for picture taking.

When it is windy/choppy, the windshield gets the spray pretty good. There is a bit of flare toward the bow which sends the majority of it away.

my boat is full displacement with rounded chines,

Attachments

• Desol 09 (136).jpg
    Desol 09 (136).jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Desol 09 (138).jpg
    Desol 09 (138).jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 125
Twiiested71,
What kind of boat do you have?.......

The Mainship 34 is very narrow fwd w fairly concave cross sectional lines and to offset the imbalance fore and aft he gave the bow considerable flare and lots of freeboard ... to limit it's submarine activities..

Bingo:thumb:. '83 Mainship 34 III.

The Iowa's bow is the antithesis of the Coot's:

img_99652_0_1337b2b679280a463b6af1826a52eb02.jpg

I like the new half of the Coot's bottom!! Do they match now and both sides are wet again?

Marin, You just about need a narrow boat for a slicer. Nice picture. I see a well developed bow wave and at 8.5 knots it should be. You relate to numbers well so howabout a 6.5 on the 10 scale 10 being the punch.

bshanafelt, I see a semi-disp hull there unless you have less than 3" of submerged transom and a fairly steep QBBL. Yours is much like a lobster boat and they are all semi-disp. Rounded chines don't make a FD boat.

FlyWright, Slicer. Notice the angle of entry is less at and just aft of the stem so the AOE is less initially, gets greater before it becomes less. A common feature of slower boats. Battleships are not narrow ships. Very wide actually. They were a great big gun barge w a pointy bow.

Boatgm, Your boat is probably the biggest slicer on the forum. Is it a powerboat or a sailboat?

Blue Heron, Don't see enough of your boat to say much but prolly 5 to 7 on the 10 scale.

Coot, Mark Coot's look'in good as usual. Coot's not as much of a puncher as you think. She's heavy and you often drive her hard so she looks a bit like a tug. Being full at both ends puts her slightly into the puncher zone. A 5.

My Willard is about a 3.

Here's Willy at full speed. She's push'in a bit of water here punching more than slicing. But where I normally cruise her there's half as much wake.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 425.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 425.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 101
slicer

Eric--- Here's a shot of our boat going 8.5 knots. Do you consider this a big bow wave or not? Just curious. I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

View attachment 12441
your boat is a slicer Not a big bow wave!! My Island Gypsy 32 is a slicer!:dance:BUT IF YOU PUT FULL POWER ON IN ANY BOAT,ITS A PUSHER:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Emily Anne underway5.jpg
    Emily Anne underway5.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 94

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom