Dougcole
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Skip,
Well put. I've got a lot in Willy and feel much the same. Not the perfect boat and I went looking but just couldn't move away from her. A lot of it was the cost of moorage down here.
Marin and psneeld seem to be extremes But many yacht owners choose and buy their boat for how well it would fit them into a certain "tribe". The OP Dougcole expresses himself well and his thread name suggests that why we buy the boat we do is a very pretentious undertaking w a very specific mission. Few if any of us would probably admit our guilt but many (or even most in some places) buy yachts mostly for that reason. If we were the last persons on earth and ther'e were lots of boats and fuel to use what boats would we mostly use .... if any. I don't think most of us know how much of our boat buying decisions are pretentious or serving our boating needs exclusively. I'm sure some of my needs are a bit pretentious in that I probably want people to perceive of me as a self taught and objective thinking person prone to go my own way for reasons from within and not subject to fads or trends not based on objective and practical reasoning. I know I'd like my boat to say such things about me but I can't conceive of myself spending $50K to accomplish that is something I would actually do. So I'm not going to admit to pretentious spending re my boat to any significant degree and anyone here who cares much about what other people think probably won't admit to pretentiousness either. One could come close to the truth about oneself by taking stock of their past. We can all learn at least a bit by looking in the mirror.
"One could come close to the truth about oneself by taking stock of their past"
I really like that. Very nicely said.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote